Celebs Peddle Clothing Lines for the New Year
Well-known actors, athletes, musicians or reality TV stars; almost every field of endeavor has produced celebrities who can double as fashion designers:
- Earlier this week, Victoria Beckham, 34, launched a commercial for hers. She unveiled the line, VB, as part of New York Fashion Week, but early reports suggest it has already sold out. Beckham started out by designing a small line of jeans with denim label Rock & Republic.
- Hip-Hop superstar Kanye West, 31, has reportedly announced plans to put his music on hold and explore fashion as a possible intern. According to The New York Times, he’s offering his services—for free—at a clothing branch along the lines of Louis Vuitton or Raf Simons.
- At one time, Jessica Simpson, 26, was having problems promoting the one clothing line she had, called Princy, but she’ll be adding more to the mix come Spring 2009. She’s slated to launch an intimate apparel line, Jessica Simpson Intimates, through the Camuto Group, a leading design, development and distributor of women’s fashion.
- Fashion “it” girl Katie Holmes, 29, is set to release her own clothing line with Giorgio Armani, named Katie Holmes for Armani. She told OK! Magazine that her first collection will be aimed at toddlers. Using her nearly 2-year-old daughter Suri as inspiration, the line will be out by spring 2009. Holmes also has a line for older children set to hit stores in fall 2009 and a line of women’s clothes and handbags for fall 2010.
- R&B sensation Usher, 29, says his next gig will be as a men’s lingerie designer. Yes, you read correctly. He said some of his designs appear in his new video for Trading Places.
- Rihanna, 20, casually mentioned she’d like to design a clothing line, too. No official word on that yet.
- Fashion moguls Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, 22, plan to design menswear for their high-end label the Row. WWD reports, “Ashley Olsen, who originally conceived the line, is said to have started conceptualizing the men’s collection, which could launch as soon as next fall.” The twins currently have another line called Elizabeth & James.
- Fergie, 33, will call her new label Fergalicious. She recently discussed launch plans for fresh lines to debut in February 2009.