David Beckham Willing to Lose Millions to Leave L.A.
David Beckham says that he wants to continue playing with the AC Milan soccer team—and he’s apparently unconcerned if he loses a load of cash in the process.
“At the moment, Milan is more important than money,” Beckham told Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport, reports NBC Sports. “I want to think about football before everything else. I said in a clear manner what I think, I want to stay at Milan because I’ve rediscovered myself as a football player.”
Beckham, 33,was loaned to the AC Milan team from the L.A. Galaxy for three months beginning in December. The deal is set to expire on March 8 and, despite the fact that Becks and wife Victoria have acclimated quite well to the Hollywood lifestyle, he says, “The immediate aim is to stay here in Milan and play at the highest level possible.”
Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti calls Beckham “indispensable” to the team, adding, “Not even I thought the situation could go so well so quickly.” Indeed, Beckham has started all five matches since joining on with Milan, and has scored two goals. By contrast, Beckham’s tenure with the Galaxy has been touch and go, and plagued with injury.
Of course, there’s also the matter of Beckham’s $32.5 million, five-year contract with the L.A. Galaxy, which he signed in 2007. So far the Galaxy and Milan haven’t discussed the potential trade, but negotiations between the two teams are expected to begin soon.
And in the likely event that AC Milan isn’t able to cough up the mega-bucks that the Galaxy did for Beckham? Perhaps David can make up the shortfall with his budding career as an underwear model.