Studio Calls Bruno Lawsuit “Frivolous”
Yeah, well, not so much, according to Universal Studios.
Reuters reports that Universal has responded to Richelle Olson’s lawsuit filed earlier this week, calling Olson’s suit “frivolous” and her allegations “baseless.”
Olson claims that Cohen caused a melee at a charity bingo game she was running in Palmdale, California, in 2007. In her suit, Olson says that Cohen, under the guise of his gay Austrian fashionista character Bruno, engaged in a “physical struggle” with her, during which he allegedly “offensively touched, pushed and battered” her.
The stress from the confrontation, Olson says, caused her to pass out and hit her head on a concrete slab, causing serious injury.
Now, for Universal’s version.
In a statement issued on Friday, Universal claims, “filmed footage of the full encounter, which took place more than two years ago, clearly shows that Ms. Olson was never touched or in any way assaulted by Sacha Baron Cohen or any member of the production and suffered no injury.”
Universal went on to add, “we expect each of the defendants to be fully vindicated.”
The public can judge for itself on July 10, when Bruno: Delicious Journeys Through America for the Purpose of Making Heterosexual Males Visibly Uncomfortable in the Presence of a Gay Foreigner in a Mesh T-Shirt hits theaters.
In the meantime, have your say in the comments section: Do you think this lawsuit has any merit?