Michael Jackson Movie Comes Closer to Release

You might be getting an in-depth look at Michael Jackson’s final days sooner than you think.

E! Online reports that Columbia Pictures has purchased the rights to Jackson’s rehearsal footage for his planned concert run at London’s O2 Arena from concert promoter AEG Live for a cool $60 million.

Jackson was rehearsing for the performances in the days leading up to his death in June. According to AEG, there are more than 100 hours of footage available to Columbia.

Though Columbia secured the rights on Friday, according to court papers, the studio still has to have a judge sign off on the transaction. (The matter will presumably be settled during the next hearing on Jackson’s estate, which is scheduled for August 10.) Should Columbia get the go-ahead, the reported plan is to produce a PG-rated film chronicling Jackson’s preparation for the O2 run that, as dictated by the contract’s terms, will paint the deceased singer in a positive light.

Also according to the contract, 90 percent of the film’s profit would go to Michael Jackson’s estate, with the remaining 10 percent going to AEG.

But exactly how much profit would there be? Let us know in the comments section: Would you go see a documentary about Michael Jackson’s rehearsals for his comeback shows?