How Selena Gomez Can Break Her Wholesome Image
While being called a “good girl” isn’t necessarily a bad thing, the Wizards of Waverly Place starlet says that she feels restricted by her kid-friendly image as she begins to look for more mature roles in Hollywood and beyond.
Making the transition from tween to adult celebrity can be difficult and the notoriously scandal-free Selena doesn’t want to ruin her relationship with her fans. So, how can the Ramona and Beezus actress effectively break her cutesy image? Here’s a few, totally non-wholesome but still classy suggestions:
• Do an action film. If Selena chooses to follow in the footsteps of her idol, Sandra Bullock, she might find that making an action flick a la Speed will help her get some tough girl cred and still remain America’s Sweetheart. While most female action stars are portrayed as being controversial sex kittens (Megan Fox, Angelina Jolie), Selena could find the right balance between wholesome and butt-kicking babe.
• Embrace political drama. Selena shares a lot of similarities with Julia Roberts, and the Eat, Pray, Love actress is a good example of a respected actress with a “good girl” side. Political-tinged films like The Pelican Brief and Erin Brockovich helped give Julia an intellectual edge over her fluffier counterparts, and choosing similar dramas might help Selena as she matures as an artist.
• Don’t shy away from adult comedies. The talented Selena has already shown on Wizards of Waverly Place that she can do comedy, but most of her comedic talents are focused on kid-oriented shows and rom-coms. If Selena wants to gain more attention she should look into getting a role – even if it is a bit role – on an adult comedy. Sure, this might mean she’ll have to get out of her comfort zone, but it will get her a lot of cred with people old enough to drive themselves to the movies.
• Date around. Selena has complained that she hasn’t gone on a date in 6 months. Image aside, she is going to have to start finding time to date boys. Now, that doesn’t mean she has to date every hot young actor in Hollywood, but finding a boyfriend would allow fans to see her in another light other than being the sweet girl-next-door. There’s no doubt the boys in Hollywood (and outside) would love to take you out on a date, Selena!
• Get with the gays. If Selena started to embrace the gay community (like Britney Spears and Lady Gaga have already done), she might be able to seal her status as an adult pop star. Luckily, Selena’s music is already moving towards a dance-heavy beat, and now all she needs to do is start showing some public support for her gay fans.
Of course, Selena should avoid taking the much-feared “troubled starlet” route. Still, if Selena keeps her wits about her, she’ll surely find a way to make it out of tweener stardom alive.
What do you think Selena should do to lose her wholesome image? Let us know your ideas in the comments below.