Get Ready for Spring with Jeannie Mai’s Trend Report (VIDEO)
Take the opportunity to do a little spring cleaning
• You can freshen up your wardrobe by adding a few new pieces that follow spring trends, and wearing them with basics and staples like a great pair of jeans. Freshening up can also mean a quick tune up if you’re feeling a little weighed down from the winter months. I love the Yoplait Light Two Week Tune Up plan – it’s simple and is a quick way to lose 5 pounds in 2 weeks to look and feel your best.
Trends for your tresses: What’s hot for hair
• I give a short nod to the pixie’s bad-ass cousin, the bob.
• Try something serious with a severe side part.
• From an off-to-the-side swoop to thick, Jane Birkin-esque ’70s fringe, bangs are SO back!
• My favorite: The low bun. Straight from Guido Palau, who created the look for Nina Ricci’s spring show, he recommends starting with a center part. Next, pull hair into a low ponytail, making sure to cover the ears. Then twist the ponytail into a loose knot. Remember, a too-tight style will look overly austere, so keep it loose for a touch of bohemian flair!
Watch Jeannie’s tips on how to look red carpet-ready below.
Must-haves for makeup
• I’m DYING over the new makeup trends set for the spring/summer 2011 season! They’re absolutely fabulous if you wish to look dazzling with the gorgeous pastel eye makeup trend that’s so perfect for the warm season!
• You’ve probably seen the outbreak of Peacock collections that MAC and Shu Uemura both have launched this season so it is no wonder that color is totally in. Experiment by adding one different color shadow to your look for the day, you don’t have to look like a peacock going to work, right? Unless that’s what you were aiming for.
• Nude has always been pretty much in but this season, try going for bolder lips like fuscia, red, or hot pink. I love taking a powerful lipstick and then lightly dab the color onto my lips so it leaves a semi-stain, just bitten look. Take a tip from Fendi’s Spring 2011 collection, featuring a matte bright orange. Bright lips are in babe so pucker up!
What to put in your wardrobe for spring:
• The explosion of color is instant “wear”apy to any soul.
• Spring 2011’s floral trend sees pieces set to brighten up wardrobes in bright botanicals, oriental blooms and ditsy prints. Clash them to make a statement.
• It’s time to wake up and smell the roses, guys and gals…..and the poppies and the lilies and the peonies too. Bold flower-power prints are hot off the runways from designers such as Jil Sander, Erdem, Jaeger, Kenzo, Vivienne Westwood, Mui Mui, Dries Van Noten and Antonia Marras.
• Think palazzo pants, sheer blouses, or handbags and shoes, these botanical beauties are here to brighten up our spring and summer.
• Feminine prints are rediscovered on another one of Mai faves, floaty maxi dresses.
• For a true designer look, make a statement by clashing big blooms with other florals, in different textures too.
All about accessories
• If I had to pick one stand out musty that will be mine for the season, it’s the belt purse. There are the years when a particular style of clutch is on trend, and then there’s 2011. It’s out with the clutch and in with a belted alternative. It’ll be this year’s casual fashion trends, the belt purse is a statement piece of daytime wear that quickly went from the catwalks of Hermes and Pucci to the streets.
Need more style advice?
· Check out more of my tips for maximizing your wardrobe – like choosing a go-to staple dress or making your accessories work double-time – at Yoplait’s Facebook page.