The Day After: Updates on the Death of Amy Winehouse
Facts, reports and rumors continue to pour in around the sudden death of Amy Winehouse on Saturday. While the world awaits the official autopsy results -- which may take place as soon as Sunday -- there's a lot of information to sift through to get a full picture of the story.
So, allow Celebuzz to keep you on top of the latest news with our round-up below, including the first official statement from Winehouse's family.
- Though there's no toxicology or autopsy report yet, a new claim states that Winehouse bought heroin, ecstasy and ketamine on Friday night, just hours before she was discovered dead in her London apartment. One friend said it was the ecstasy that likely did her in, telling the Sunday Mirror: "It was an ecstasy overdose. She could do cocaine until the cows come home. But this was obviously a dodgy pill."
- Winehouse's family released a statment on Sunday, saying: "Our family has been left bereft by the loss of Amy, a wonderful daughter, sister, niece. She leaves a gaping hole in our lives. We are coming together to remember her and we would appreciate some privacy and space at this terrible time."
- Her father Mitch was in New York, scheduled to play a gig at the Blue Note jazz club when he heard the news. He quickly took a flight home, saying: "I have to be with Amy. I can't crack up for her sake. My family need me. I’m devastated, it's such a shock."
- An autopsy is expected to be done on Sunday. There's no word how quickly the results of the autopsy would be released.
- Russell Brand memorialized his friend on his blog, declaring that Winehouse was "a f-----g genius" and that with addicts, one is always aware that there might be that phone call one day.
- Fans have been laying tributes to Winehouse -- everything from photos to flowers to paintings -- in front of her house in London as well as in parks and other places that she frequented.