Amy Winehouse Cause of Death Revealed: Alcohol Poisoning
Winehouse died on July 23 after consuming massive amounts of alcohol, according to the coroner, and TMZ reports that Winehouse had more than 4 times the legal driving limit of alcohol in her system when her body was discovered in her London home. Thanks to her reputation for excess and multiple trips to rehab, many had suspected that drugs or alcohol were at least partially to blame for Winehouse’s untimely passing.
“It is some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy. We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away, it is likely a build up of alcohol in her system over a number of days … The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time. She had started drinking again that week after a period of abstinence.”
In the days following her death, thousands of fans poured into the streets near her home, leaving makeshift memorials and other items to remember the fallen star.