Celebrity Fitness Instructor Reveals Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter’s Training Secrets
Gwen Lawrence is the instructor for five New York pro teams, including the New York Giants. She has several online yoga classes on GaiamTV.com.
I’ve made it my life’s mission to create relevant yoga programs for athletes, from little leaguers to professionals. I’m so excited to bring you some yoga secrets I use when I teach my pros!
Whether you’re Alex Rodriguez and smashing homeruns, or Derek Jeter, the consistent and reliable “King of Rings,” baseball players need open hips, clear shoulders and flexible spines for optimal performance on the field.
Dante Bichette Junior, a first round draft pick for the New York Yankees, has been doing my Power Yoga for Sports Baseball Edition since he was 14 and now travels the country with it. This baseball season, you can up your own game using some of my signature yoga poses:
- Pigeon pose: To open the hips and keep knees safe
- Runner’s lunge: To increase hip and leg strength, and open the Achilles tendon, calves and feet
- Happy cow arms: To keep the chest and shoulders open and flexible, for better breathing and stronger arms
- Frog pose: To open the groin and inner thigh, to increase speed and keep your legs injury-free
If you need more inspiration, check out GaiamTV.com for great online streaming videos to keep your game injury-free and help take you to the next level in fitness and flexibility:
– Gaiam Yoga Fundamentals: Backbends to open your hip flexors and chest with bridge pose and reclined hero’s pose, and learn about the fundamentals of safe and effective back bending.
– The FIRM Wave – Rock Solid Buns. The FIRM Master Instructor Alison Davis guides you through a comprehensive lower body workout designed to lengthen and strengthen from your hips.
– Yoga Now Upper Body. Join Rodney Yee and Mariel Hemingway in this innovative practice with simple poses such as chest openers, arm swings and bends to help you to improve flexibility and range of motion.
– Beginner Toning Ball. In this 10-minute upper body beginner’s workout, fitness expert Tanja Djelevic guides you through slow-paced movements to deeply work and sculpt your chest.
Good luck and stay inspired!
Need to kick start your fitness routine? We’re giving away a FREE 30-Day membership to GaiamTV.com.
How to enter:
PLEASE NOTE: You must sign in to Celebuzz (or use Facebook to sign in) in order to comment and win.
This giveaway will close on Sunday, June 10, 2012.
Gwen’s unique combination of dance, massage and yoga training experience, coupled with her extensive knowledge of anatomy and nutrition, provides her clients with overwhelming benefits. Gwen is the yoga instructor for 5 NY Pro teams. Her writing appears in Men’s Health, Women’s Health, Fitness Magazine, Shape Magazine, Yoga Journal, Details, shape.com, and espn.com. She makes regular appearances on NBC’s TODAY show, and Good Day New York. She was featured in June’s ESPN Magazine as the “Best Innovation in Sports Medicine,” and is a featured “Super Ambassador” for GaiamTV.com.
GaiamTV.com is a streaming video subscription service that includes exclusive yoga and fitness classes plus thousands of inspirational films, documentaries, personal growth, health and wellness videos. It is available for $9.95 a month with a 10-day free trial. GaiamTV.com features renowned instructors, including Rodney Yee, Jillian Michaels, Seane Corn, The FIRM, Mari Winsor, Deepak Chopra, Jack Canfield and dozens more. Top inspirational films, such as “I AM,” written and directed by Tom Shadyac, are also included. In addition, GaiamTV.com offers weekly live-streamed original programming with its new show, “Gaiam Inspirations” hosted by Lisa Garr. GaiamTV.com is available on a wide array of portable devices, including the iPad, and iPhone. GaiamTV.com is a division of Gaiam, Inc.