Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorce: The Couple’s Relationship Timeline (PHOTOS)
Celebuzz has compiled a breakdown of their five-year-union — and some of 49-year-old Cruise and 33-year-old Holmes’ memorable moments.
- In October 2004, Holmes first mentioned marrying Cruise — in jest. The actress had just finished filming the final season of Dawson’s Creek and opened up to Seventeen magazine about her engagement to beau Chris Klein, whom she’d been dating since January 2000. “I think every little girl dreams about [her wedding],” she said. “I used to think I was going to marry Tom Cruise.”
- In March 2005, Holmes and Klein split.
- At the time, Cruise himself was newly single, as his three-year relationship with his Vanilla Sky co-star Penelope Cruz had ended in 2004.
- On April 27, 2005, Holmes and Cruise made their red carpet debut as a couple, at the premiere of Cruise’s War of the Worlds.
- One month later, Cruise infamously jumped on Oprah Winfrey’s couch during a segment on her talk show, declaring his love for Holmes.
- On June 17, 2005, Cruise proposed to Holmes on top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
- On October 6, 2005, the couple announced they were expecting their first child together.
- On April 26, 2006, almost a year to the day of their official debut as a couple, their daughter Suri was born.
- In July 2006, Suri made her debut on the cover of Vanity Fair.
- On November 18, 2006, Cruise and Holmes married in lavish ceremony attended by hundreds of guests in Bracciano, Italy.
- In 2008, Holmes starred in the critical and commercial failure, Mad Money. It was her first movie since she released two flicks in 2005: the indie film Thank You For Smoking and the blockbuster Batman Begins.
- During their five-year union, the couple endured constant rumors of an impending divorce — along with speculation as to whether they would give Suri a sibling.
- In 2011, Holmes sued Star magazine after the publication claimed she was addicted to pain killers. Star was forced to print a retraction.
- Late last year, Holmes was by Cruise’s side as he promoted Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.
- In recent months, as Cruise promoted his latest film, Rock of Ages, Holmes was nowhere to be seen.
- On June 29, 2012, Holmes’ lawyers revealed that the two were indeed divorcing.
What’s your take on the Cruise and Holmes split? Click through the gallery to see them through the years, then let us know in the comments.
No changes are to be made to this player.
(Do not add Videos to this Player)
Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorce: Celebuzz’s Complete Coverage