Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise Divorce: 6 Newest Developments Since the Settlement
Meanwhile, newly NYC-based Holmes has been out and about with her mother, Kathleen, and daughter Suri. The actress is set to start production on her latest project, Molly, next week. The film, which she co-wrote and will co-produce, stars Holmes — ironically — as a single mom.
But even in its wake, the five-year marriage that captivated the world continues to spur new developments.
Read on to find out the latest in the TomKat divorce.
1. Cruise has ditched his wedding band, too. Much was made when Holmes first stepped out sans wedding ring, but Cruise has done the same: photos have emerged of him jewelry-free yesterday on the Juke Lake, California, set of Oblivion.The Los Angeles Times. The move allowed the former Dawson’s Creek star to keep in contact with her divorce lawyers without tipping off an in-the-dark Cruise. Holmes’ hush-hush plotting reportedly left Cruise blindsided when she filed for divorce in New York.
3. The couple’s prenuptial agreement governed the distribution of assets. While the details of the behind-closed-doors divorce agreement have mostly been kept under wraps, Holmes is said to have signed an ironclad prenuptial agreement before wedding Cruise five years ago. According to MSNBC, the prenup entitles Holmes to $3 million for each year of marriage (which will total to $15 million). She will also reportedly retain the couple’s Montecito, California, home. The other properties — in NYC, Beverly Hills, Sussex, England and Lake Cuomo, Italy — will allegedly remain under Cruise’s ownership.
4. Cruise's attorney denies that Scientology played a part in the split. Attorney Bert Fields is shooting down rampant reports that the actor’s controversial religion factored into the couple’s split and subsequent top-secret settlement. “Let me be very clear about this. The Church of Scientology played absolutely NO ROLE in the divorce settlement talks at all. Period," Fields told Radar Online. "The mere suggestion that the Church was involved in any element of the talks and ultimate settlement is categorically false. Anyone suggesting otherwise is just wrong."
5. The Church of Scientology has chosen to stay silent on the TomKat divorce. "With respect to Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes divorce, the church has no comment," a spokeswoman for the controversial religion said in a statement to CNN. "Please direct any questions to their representatives. This is, and always was, a private family matter, and the church will continue to respect their privacy."
6. Holmes will choose how Suri is educated. The custody agreement grants Holmes primary custody of the couple’s six-year-old daughter, Suri. And while Cruise will have generous visitation rights, Holmes will be the decision maker when it comes to Suri’s education, according to a report by the Associated Press.
What do you think is the most surprising aspect of TomKat's speedy settlement? Sound off in comments.