Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes Divorce Aftermath: 7 New Developments
There's still no shortage in news following the divorce of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes.
As the former A-listers begin life apart, new details are emerging about their time together. In an exclusive interview with Celebuzz this week, Holmes' friends said that her marriage to the Scientologist almost tore her family apart.
“We were all brought up Catholic,” 32-year-old Kari Somo said. “I know her parents had an issue with it. I don’t think they were very happy.”
Meanwhile, in another bombshell Celebuzz report, Holmes' acting mentor, 85-year-old Margaret O'Brien, called the actor "domineering" and "ridiculous."
Those aren't the only developments on the controversial couple. Read on for more.
1. Holmes feared Suri was becoming “a monster.” The 33-year-old reportedly filed for divorce in part because her six-year-old daughter was becoming “very demanding and bratty” – and Holmes wanted to take control of the wild child’s upbringing. “Tom would let Suri do whatever she wanted,” an insider told Us magazine. “Katie saw that Suri was growing into a monster.” Another source told Us that the lack of Cruise control on Suri stemmed from the actor’s dedication to Scientology, which supports the belief that children should be treated like adults. Insiders say he even allowed her to have ice cream for dinner and choose her own bedtime.
2. Holmes tired of Cruise’s family. A Scientology source told PEOPLE, “Nothing is more important to Tom than his family.” But being so close-knit didn’t jive with Katie. With Cruise filming movies away from home for almost six months last year, an insider says, “Katie was like, “I’m living with your sisters and not you.’”
3. Cruise isn’t keeping Scientology from Suri. “Tom is not ashamed of his beliefs and won’t hide them from his daughter,” a source told PEOPLE. The insider also said Holmes has not joined a Catholic church in New York, as has been reported -- at least, not yet. “[She's] checked out places where she might feel comfortable," the source said.
4. Holmes prayed for Cruise -- before she even met him. Angela Domschot, a former classmate of Holmes at the $18,000-a-year private Catholic school, Notre Dame Academy, told Celebuzz exclusively that Holmes used to pray for her childhood crush. “In religion class, when we were about 16, we would have to say prayers to keep a certain someone safe and out of harm,” she said. “Katie would say it for Tom Cruise. We did that every day, so she would have said thousands of prayers for him.
5. Holmes' friends found it jarring when she embraced Scientology. “We were all shocked when she turned to Scientology, but when you’re besotted with someone, I guess you’ll do what they want,” Domschot told Celebuzz. “Her dream came true… she got her fairytale ending, I guess.”
6. Cruise finally reunited with Suri. The actor spent the entire day with Suri yesterday in their first father-daughter bonding session in a month. PEOPLE says there’s a reason it took so long for him to see his daughter: he was busy filming his new movie, Oblivion. Said a source: “He couldn’t shut down production, cost people their jobs. People count on him.”
7. Holmes and Cruise are playing nice…sort of. “[They] understand that they are going to have to talk to one another for the next many, many years,” a source told PEOPLE. “They are going to have to talk, and that’s always been [Tom’s] intention – for it to be amicable.” But the magazine reports that when Cruise scheduled yesterday's play date with Suri, he coordinated it with…Holmes’ camp.