'Dark Knight Rises' Massacre: 7 Latest Developments
The man suspected of killing 12 and injuring 58 in a mass shooting during a Colorado screening of The Dark Knight Rises is now claiming he has amnesia -- and doesn't even know how he landed behind bars.
James Eagen Holmes, a former doctoral student in neuroscience, allegedly entered the Aurora movie theater and indiscriminately opened fire, using an AR-15 assault rifle, shotgun and handgun. The 24-year-old has been held without bond in solitary confinement at an Arapahoe County detention facility in Centennial, Colorado, since being arrested early July 20. He is expected to face first-degree murder charges, and possibly additional counts of aggravated assault and weapons violations; he's due back in court Monday morning.
Celebuzz has the latest updates on the tragedy that has shook the nation.
1. The Dark Knight Rises tops box office in its second weekend. The final installment in the Batman trilogy earned $64.1 million domestically during its second weekend, topping an overall sluggish box office weekend, according to Reuters. Internationally, the film pulled in $122.1 million. In total since its July 20 debut, Dark Knight has garnered $537 million globally.
2. Victim's mother planning to sue the movie theater. Shirley Wygal — whose daughter, Rebecca Wingo, 32, was killed in Aurora massacre — has hired an attorney with plans to sue Century 16 Theater, where the Dark Knight Rises mass shooting took place. According to TMZ, Wygal believes the theater's emergency exit doors should have been alarmed or should have had on-duty security standing guard. Holmes allegedly entered the cinema through a propped-open emergency exit. The tragedy may spur another suit, as it was reported last week that a survivor plans to sue the theater, Holmes' doctors and Warner Bros.
3. Holmes paid for a prostitute one week before Aurora shooting. Holmes shelled out $240 for a night with a prostitute just one week before he opened fire, according to the NY Daily News. But the Denver-area hooker says Holmes wasn't in the mood for sex, and instead asked to just talk.NY Daily News. "He claims he doesn't know why he's in jail," said an employee. "He asked, 'Why am I here?'" And Holmes has also been moaning about the prison meals. Said the employee: "He complained once that he didn’t like the food . . . The guy killed 12 people, and he’s upset that he’s not getting a four-star meal?”
5. Holmes' psychiatrist has been reprimanded. Back in 2005, the psychiatrist who was allegedly treating Holmes was disciplined by the Colorado Board of Medical Examiners, according to 7News. Dr. Lynne Fenton was reprimanded for prescribing medication to herself, her husband and an employee in the late 1990s.
6. A survivor suffers a miscarriage. Ashley Moser, the mother of 6-year-old Veronica Moser-Sullivan, who was killed in the shooting, suffered a miscarriage due to "the extreme trauma she sustained," her family said in a statement, reports the Denver Post. Moser is being treated at Aurora Medical Center with wounds to the neck and abdomen.
7. Theater offering to cover funeral costs of victims. Cinemark Holdings — the company that owns Century 16 Theater, where the Dark Knight massacre transpired — is offering to pay funeral expenses for victims who died in the rampage, according to TMZ. While one family has turned down the offer, Cinemark reportedly remains ready to help with any expenses not covered by Colorado’s Victim Compensation Fund.