Tony Scott's Death: 7 Latest Developments in the Director's Tragic Suicide Case
As the entertainment world comes to terms with the shocking news that veteran director Tony Scott has died, a picture of why the father of two took his own life on Sunday has started to emerge.
At just 68, the director of Top Gun and producer of The Good Wife jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro, Calif.
Here are the latest developments in the tragic story...
1. The director had been diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. A source close to the director told ABC News that Scott had recently found out about the severe health issue. Sources told the New York Post that Scott had “recently underwent surgery which he had told people was a hip operation, but friends feared it was a recurrence of cancer.”
2. The Los Angeles Coroner's Office confirmed authorities are treating Scott’s death as a suicide. An autopsy is likely to be performed Monday; during the examination, the coroner will also investigate whether the reports over his heath crisis are true.
3. Tom Cruise releases statement. The star of Scott's Top Gun says the director was "a creative visionary whose mark on film is immeasurable." Cruise added: "Tony was my dear friend and I will really miss him ... My deepest sorrow and thoughts are with his family at this time."
4. The Good Wife’s Julianna Marguiles joins Cruise in mourning the man who produced her popular series. “I was so deeply saddened to hear the news today of Tony Scott’s death,” she said in a statement. “I have had the pleasure of working with him for the past four years on The Good Wife and I couldn’t have asked for a more wonderful producer. His kindness, intelligence and talent inspired all of us. We will miss him every day. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.”
5. Ridley Scott boards a plane bound for Los Angeles. Tony Scott's older brother -- also a famed director -- was seen leaving Heathrow Airport in London on Monday in an effort to be with his brother's family.
6. Scott’s family requests privacy. The publicist for Ridley Scott made the statement on the family’s behalf, saying "I can confirm that Tony Scott has passed away. The family asks that their privacy is respected at this time."
7. Authorities found two notes from the director. One note was reportedly found in Scott’s Toyota Prius, which he parked on the 185-foot high bridge prior to taking his own life. The letter was described as a “contact list” to allow authorities to notify his family of his death. Authorities also found a suicide letter at the director’s office, details of which have not been released.
Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can go to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline or call 1-800-273-TALK (8255).