Tom Cruise vs. ‘Jack Reacher’: How Similar Is the Movie Star and His Latest Character?
Tom Cruise and Jack Reacher, you see, have virtually nothing in common. Or do they?
1. Reacher is a broad-shouldered, barrel-chested six-foot-five. With cold, wintery-blue eyes and blonde hair that grows lighter with each passing novel, Reacher is the physical definition of brute strength. At slightly-tall-for-a-Hobbit with eyes the color of hazelnut contact lenses, Cruise’s brown-haired, lean-trimmed frame may share the same overall level of fitness, but Lee’s Reacher would detest the level of exercise that Cruise requires to maintain his fifty-going-on-twenty-five physique.
3. From knife scars to bullet wounds, Reacher is covered in the physical evidence of his past encounters. Cruise is covered primarily in body lotion. There’s no denying that the version of Reacher we’ve seen in the trailers is far less rugged than the character described in Lee’s pulse-pounding series.
4. Cruise is widely known as the near-perfect poster child for Scientology, a quality what would likely earn a swift nut-shot from the literary Reacher. With an open distain for most religions and organized belief systems, Reacher carries a healthy suspicion of the corrupting power of faith.
6. Reacher is also something of an American gypsy, traveling from town to town, continually pulled into conflict after conflict, not terribly unlike Cruise’s chosen profession of traveling between locations getting into fake adventures. Also, Cruise’s bank account could support about ten million Jack Reachers at once, but who’s counting?
7. While there’s no doubt that Cruise fails to fit the description of Reacher as detailed throughout Lee’s expansive series, we’re equally certain that the quiet, observant, emotionally distant qualities of the character will come through brilliantly. A more grounded, everyday version of Cruise’s Ethan Hunt, Reacher is a less forgiving character, but absolutely could be the next Jason Bourne.
Watch the theatrical trailer for Jack Reacher below, and then let us know in the comments: how important are the things that Cruise shares in common with Reacher, and how important are the things that he doesn’t?
No changes are to be made to this player