20 Observations of a 'Community' Virgin
Having never seen the NBC comedy before, a CB writer gives her first impressions after watching two episodes of Season 4.
I have never watched an episode of NBC’s Community. On Thursday, my editor handed me a DVD screener of two episodes of Season 4. My assignment? To watch them both -- I wasn’t even able to Google first -- and tell him what I thought.
Sounds like a fun assignment, right? Well, I laughed a little. I smirked a little. I got confused. Then, I put it all down in writing.
- Greendale is a community college.
- “Instagram for Besties” and “History of Ice Cream” are classes. (Wait... why didn’t my alma mater Emerson ever offer that?) -- Clearly, Greendale is an easy college.
- Seriously... what kind of college is this? It has an “Antics 101” class for women only.
- Jeff (Joel McHale) wants to graduate so badly (and get his friends into the class) that he would participate in “The Hunger Deans” for enrollment.
- Jeff was a lawyer and ended up back in community college.
- There are students even older than Pierce (Chevy Chase), so Greendale’s student body seems to include students from diverse age groups.
- Pierce is a funny old guy trying to fit in.
- Shirley (Yvette Nicole Brown) is like Pierce.
- The Dean (Jim Rash) is a nut and likes to dress as a woman. And he actually looks good dressed like that.
- Jeff is the cool guy of the group. They are calling him the “New Jeff.” I don’t know the old Jeff, but the “New Jeff” seems like a good guy.
- Joel McHale is a good actor.
- Abed (Danny Pudi) wants to stay in college forever.
- I’m not sure who Kevin (Ken Jeong) is or what "Changnesia" is.
- Hipster glasses are in.
- Jeff and Britta (Gillian Jacobs) hooked up in the past.
- Troy (Donald Glover) and Britta are in a “progressive” relationship.
- The Dean has the hots for Jeff.
- Abed has a thing for Britta.
- Troy and Abed are bromancing. Troy is the girl in the relationship.
- Annie (Alison Brie) has a thing for Jeff.
Meet "New Jeff" on the Season 4 premiere below.