Help Us Crown The New Queen Of Pop
Vote for your favorite pop star.
If, as the saying goes, it's "out with the old and in with the new," who is our generation's Queen of Pop?
While Madonna has been the undisputed Queen of Pop for nearly three decades, we've seen several relative newcomers convincingly stake their claim to the title.
We weighed several factors--including album sales, income, and influence--and selected three of today's top pop stars: Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, and Britney Spears. And now we need you to help us crown one of them the Queen.
Help us crown the Queen of Pop by voting in our poll:
If you're having trouble making up your mind, consider the following factors about these artists:
- Since Destiny's Child formed in 1996, Bey has enjoyed the longest career in the spotlight of the three artists.
- She has the seal-of-approval from a wide range of musical icons, including Tina Turner, Barbara Streisand, and Mariah Carey.
- If you consider both Destiny's Child and her solo releases, Beyoncé has more platinum albums than Gaga or Britney. In fact, of all of her back catalogue, the only album not to have achieved platinum status in the U.S. is the first Destiny's Child record.
- With nine number-one singles to her name (five as a solo artist and four with Destiny's Child), she leads the pack when it comes to topping Billboard's Hot 100 chart.
- Thanks to a wide variety of endorsements and side-projects, she remains among the top-earning musicians, even in years she doesn't tour or release music.
- She is the only artist of the three to have both headlined the Super Bowl and performed for the President of the United States.
- She is the only artist of the three to have one of her music videos ("Bad Romance") top 500 million views on YouTube.
- She is the only female artist to have two singles ("Just Dance" and "Poker Face") sell more than 6 million copies.
- She is the youngest artist to have two tours (The Monster Ball and The Born This Way Ball) rank among the 25 most successful tours of all time.
- Since her debut in 2008, she has sold more albums and singles than Britney and Beyoncé combined.
- Of the three artists, she is the most recent to reach the top of Billboard's Hot 100 singles chart. (She did so with "Born This Way" in early 2011.)
- With nearly 34 million Twitter followers and more than 55 million Facebook fans, she has the biggest social media presence of the three artists.
- Both ... Baby One More Time and Oops!... I Did It Again have been certified diamond by the RIAA. (She is the only artist of the three to have a diamond album.)
- She holds the record for the biggest first-week sales for an album released by a female. (Oops!.. I Did It Again sold 1.3 million copies its first week on shelves.)
- She is the biggest-selling female artist of the 2000s and fifth-biggest of that decade overall.
- Last year, Forbes named her the top-earning woman in music.
- From her kiss with Madonna to her performance with a boa constrictor, her performances are considered among the most iconic of all time.
- Many newer pop stars, from Miley Cyrus to Lana Del Rey to Marina and the Diamonds, have cited Spears as a major influence on their craft.