Who Knew!? This Supermodel Loves National Geographic
Celebuzz reveals 15 things you need to know about "Sports Illustrated" cover girl Irina Shayk.
So test your Shayk skills: Who’s sexy celebrity figure does she wish she had? How long does it take her to look that good in the gym? And what is her favorite body part? Hint: it starts with a ‘b.’
2. Walk us through your daily workout routine -- what exercises work the best? How many days a week do you work out? It all depends on my schedule that day. Sometimes I go to the gym early in the morning, but the best time for me to work out is in the afternoon. After I work out I go straight to Liquiteria to have some coconut water or fresh-squeezed carrot juice to keep me hydrated. I do another one hour work out in the evening at home with my trainer, usually around 7 p.m. My favorite workouts are boxing and jogging along the Westside Highway when the weather is nice. To me, the most important part of any training is finding the right motivation. Working out is always a positive way for me to get more energized.
3. What’s your favorite body part? What’s your least favorite? My favorite body part to work out is my butt -- as it’s very important for a woman. I’m 27 and I have to make sure that it will still be looking good when I’m 37! My least favorite body part to work out is my arms. I am a perfectionist and I am always very critical to myself, I even put pressure on my trainer to work me harder. When I am at the gym I always try to give everything I can to make it worthwhile.
4. What celebrity body do you admire? I love to see beautiful and sexy people and get inspired to work out my own body. As for celebrities, I admire Sofia Vergara because she’s sexy and curvy. I prefer her type of body to skinny and bony women.
5. We just recently saw you on the Givenchy runway in Paris. Will we see more of you on the catwalk? I was so excited to be a part of the Givenchy show — it was such an amazing experience and I feel very blessed to be able to do the work that I love. I meet so many talented people every day and it’s a great pleasure to participate in new big projects. The world of high fashion is a dream for every model and I will do my best to achieve as much as I can in it.
6. We are so used to seeing you grace magazine covers in your bikini. Is the catwalk a welcomed change? Surprisingly enough, modeling swimwear and high fashion isn't all that different. I have been lucky enough to work with [editor-in-chief of Vogue Paris] Carine Roitfeld and Mario Testino, who are some of the most significant and talented people in fashion, so I have been really lucky. I think that this business is all about who is supporting you and I have great team working for me and supporting my career. I actually feel just as comfortable doing high fashion as I do swim jobs.
8. How would you describe your sense of style? In my normal life I like casual clothes. I very rarely wear high heels and don't usually wear any makeup. I like to mix styles and I strive to look casual, yet elegant.
9. You have such an amazing career, but do you see yourself wanting to settle down any time soon and out of the spotlight? I definitely would like to get married and have a big family with many kids one day. I think that there's a right time for everything and when I feel that I am ready to settle down I will. For now, I love my work and what I'm doing and am still working towards reaching my full potential in this industry.
10. How would you describe your favorite date night? To me, there is no such thing as a favorite date night. As long as you are with the person you love, then you can go or do anything and make it the perfect night.
11. Tell us your favorite things to do when you’re not on the runway. I love reading, and if I have some free time I like watching movies and the National Geographic channel! I am very fond of history and love to read about the history of Russia. Right now, I have been reading a lot about designing clothing -- it's fascinating!
12. What’s one thing people would be surprised to know about you? I love to joke around make people laugh. When my sister and I get together we are constantly laughing and making fun of each other. She always says that if people saw me at these moments, they’d never believe their eyes.
13. You graced the cover of Sports Illustrated in 2011 and the following year passed the coveted baton to newcomer Kate Upton. What is the advice you gave her? Kate is such a nice girl and a real sweetheart. She is doing really great and I wish her nothing but the best in her career.
14. Many models move on to successful acting careers. Is that in your future? What’s your perfect role? I have thought about acting and had some propositions already! If I decided to go for it, my ideal character would be a Russian spy or a James Bond girl.
15. As you’ve grown in the industry, what’s the best advice you’ve ever received? The best advise I ever received came from my grandmother. She is 86 years old now and is a hero of World War II. She is such a strong woman and always stays positive. When my father passed away she was supporting my whole family and showed me what true strength was and how you can achieve anything if you just believe in yourself. Whenever I find myself struggling or having a tough moment in life I always think of her and the things that she had to face during the war and it helps me remember to be brave and to stay strong like her.
What surprised you most about these Irina facts? Tell us in the comments below.