2013 Album Anticipation Showdown: We Spill the #TruthTea About Lady Gaga's 'ARTPOP'
Vote now for your most anticipated female album of 2013. After the poll, read on to find out why we can't wait for Lady Gaga's sure-to-be-epic ARTPOP.
Spilled Tea: Five Reasons Why Lady Gaga's ARTPOP Will Be The Album of 2013For better tea flavor, play the track below as you scroll and enter the world of ARTPOP.
1) Everybody take a seat. Grab some popcorn and perhaps a
glass bottle of your favorite whiskey. Maybe light one up, if that's your thing. (We know it's Gaga's thing.) We need to talk to you about the flawless legacy of Lady Gaga, and what it means for her new album, ARTPOP.
The thing is, Lady Gaga — Godga, as the wise have taken to calling her — takes a lot of crap from people. She is called derivative, attention-seeking, phony, and most famously, reductive. But here's the #TruthTea: Lady Gaga is, simply, both the hero Gotham deserves and the one it needs. In five years, she's given us a pop star fit for our age. She has given us smash hits like "Poker Face" and "Born This Way." She has given us insta-classic music videos like "Bad Romance" and "Telephone." She has given us two of the most successful world tours of all time. She has given us the meat dress, the hair bow, and the disco stick. In return, she's received five Grammy awards, 13 VMA statuettes, more certifications than we can count, and a legion of super-fans who would do anything for their Mother Monster. She is, simply, The One. Haters to the left.
2) Godga is gearing up to release her third full-length album. (We count The Fame Monster as an EP.) ARTPOP is due out later this year, and fans of pop music are waiting breathlessly. Her last album, Born This Way, topped the charts and sold more than one million copies its first week on shelves. But that's the past, and we're looking to the future. She has said that ARTPOP is better than everything that came before. She has said both that the album will feature EDM-leaning productions and a "fresh" pop-dance sound, but also that it won't sound like anything else out there. She knows we're ready to dance, but also that we want her to push the envelope a bit, musically. If anyone can do it, it's Gaga. She will deliver us from the banality of the current Top 40 lineup.
3) ARTPOP won't just be an album; it will be an experience. Gaga confirmed that an ARTPOP app will be released in conjunction with the new music. This means that we'll be treated to... well, who knows what, exactly? Games, videos, extra tracks, creative insights, and all kinds of goodies. Inspired by Björk's Biophilia album and app suite — which, if you haven't, you should check out — Gaga has said that she believes the marriage of music and technology is the future for artists and consumers. (Jay-Z seems to agree!) She also said she was considering splitting the album into two parts — one part being more straightforward, the other being more "experimental" — meaning more new music, more new videos, and more surprises overall. Slay us once, shame on you. Slay us twice, shame on no one.
4) We don't know a ton of concrete details about ARTPOP, but the things we do know have us salivating. She's enlisted the producing talents of Zedd, DJ White Shadow, Dallas Austin, and Madeon. She also teased a collaboration with a mysterious female producer. Potential song titles include "Tea," "Sex Dreams," "Ratchet (Feat. Azealia Banks)," "Red Flame (Feat. Azealia Banks)," "Burqa," "G.U.Y. (Girl Under You)," "PARTYNAUSEOUS (Feat. Kendrick Lamar)," and, of course, "ARTPOP." There also exist some rumors that Beyoncé may make an appearance on the record. (To further fuel this rumor, Gaga said that one of the ARTPOP videos will be a continuation of the "Paparazzi"/"Telephone" storyline.) Yes pls, to all of the above.
5) After several years of media saturation, two exhausting world tours, and three albums, Gaga went into media blackout mode after a hip injury forced her to cancel the remaining dates of her successful Born This Way Ball tour. Things have been very quiet on the Gaga front since February, which has been frustrating for fans. But here's the silver lining: When she comes back, it will be like 2008 all over again. People will be all, "Oooooh yeahhhhh, Lady Gaga! I missed the f#&* out of her! Glad she's back to snatch some wigs!" This is the calm before the storm, Little Monsters. If rumors are to be believed, she's prepping for a major comeback centered around this year's MTV Video Music Awards ceremony. I think we all remember the kind of cultural impact she can accomplish at the VMAs (1, 2, 3), so this seems like the perfect launching pad for ARTPOP, a new Gaga era, and, perhaps, the future of pop music and all things true and beautiful in this world.
Don't forget to vote for your most anticipated female album above. Return each day this week for a feature on each of the participating albums!
Previously featured on our list of Anticipated Albums of 2013:
Eminem - TBD (WINNER of Most Anticipated Male Album)