2013 Album Anticipation Showdown: Selena Gomez Shows Us How Real 'Stars Dance'
Vote now for your most anticipated female album of 2013. After the poll, read on to find out why we think Selena is the new Princess of Pop.
Here Are Five Reasons to Take Selena Gomez and Her New Album Very, Very SeriouslySelena might be the youngest competitor in this competition, but she is not to be looked down upon. She boasts an impressive track record, as she started her acting career when she was only five years old! Brit and Bey best watch their backs, 'cause this little mama is coming for their crowns. And here's the proof:
1. Let’s recap Selena’s rise to the stratosphere of Pop Princessdom, shall we? Selena made her Hollywood debut on Barney and Friends when she was only five years old and shortly thereafter appeared on various Disney programs such as The Suite Life of Zack and Cody and Hannah Montana along other Disney stars such as Demi Lovato and Miley Cyrus. These minor roles were all in preparation for when Selena acquired her breakout role on Disney’s Wizards of Waverly Place. How many other artist can say they practiced witchcraft? None! So bow down, Selena haters, 'cause we're just getting started.
2. Platinum anyone? Both of Selena’s previous albums have been major successes. Her first, Kiss & Tell, broke into the top ten of the Billboard 200 and has sold more than two million units worldwide. Not bad for a 16-year-old! Her second album, A Year Without Rain, made it to number five on that same chart and sold another two million copies. We're willing to bet that Stars Dance will outsell both previous albums and will bring Selena to the forefront of the charts and cement her as a force to be reckoned with on the pop scene.
3. Not only is Selena an amazing actress and singer, she is also a humanitarian. She has volunteered of various charity projects; most noteworthy is her work with UNICEF. Since 2009, Selena has acted as an ambassador for UNICEF. She has created various campaigns, and her 2012 charity concert reportedly raised more than $200,000 to help provide clean food and water for children worldwide. In the past she has also visited Chile and Ghana to witness firsthand the struggles of the children living in poverty within third world countries. She sings, she dances, she saves the world. Step up your game, other ladies!
4. Oh, you want to talk trophies? Selena Gomez (and the Scene) won more awards then we can count. Since 2009, they have acquired four Poptastic Awards, six Teen Choice Awards, and their hit “Love You Like A Long Song” was nominated for Best Music Vdeo at the 2012 VMAs. (Not to mention, that song was certified double platinum!) Those are some major accomplishments for a group that's only released two albums. Undoubtedly, Stars Dance will require Selena to build yet another shelf for the awards she's sure to win.
5. Stars Dance's lead single, “Come And Get It,” has been sitting near the top of the Billboard Hot 100 since its release nearly two months ago. The music video, which premiered back on May 7, has been viewed more than 64 million times! This was also around the time Selena broke up with pop icon Justin Bieber, yet our diva isn’t letting the breakup bring her down. In fact, since their break up, Selena has been on a winning streak — the same cannot be said for The Biebs — that will no doubt continue with the guaranteed success of Stars Dance, which is said to feature "really cool ethnic influences" and nods to icons like Britney Spears and Janet Jackson.
IN CONCLUSION: Of the female artists participating in this showdown, Stars Dance is the only album that actually has, um, a release date, so... Selena wins for no other reason than that, tbh.
Stars Dance hits shelves — and, of course, internet retailers — on July 23.
Don't forget to vote for your most anticipated female album above. Return each day this week for a feature on each of the participating albums!
Previously featured on our list of Anticipated Albums of 2013:
Eminem - TBD (WINNER of Most Anticipated Male Album)