Demi Lovato: Cory Monteith 'Didn't Choose to Die,' His Addiction Was a 'Dangerous Disease'
The former Disney darling, who completed a three-month stint in a treatment facility back in January 2011, openly discussed last year the dangers of falling into the trappings of Hollywood fame.
"Promoters gave me drugs and alcohol in restaurants or clubs," she said. "They wanted me to come back so I would be seen there .... Being a celebrity can be dangerous. Nobody says 'no'. That's why so many end up overdosing and dying. It could definitely have happened to me."
While Lovato put herself on the road to recovery, Monteith fell victim to such struggles. The Glee star, 31 — who left rehab after a 30-day stay in April — was found dead, from a toxic mixture of heroin and alcohol, in his Vancouver, Canada, hotel room on Saturday.
"All it takes is one moment of vulnerability to get slipped into your addiction," Lovato told PEOPLE Wednesday. "He didn't choose to die. It was the disease. It can creep up on you at any moment. It only takes one moment of relapse to potentially die. It's really scary, but I'm really hoping that from this, people are able to see this is a very, very, very dangerous disease."
Even years after her treatment, Lovato still skips out on the Hollywood party scene in order to keep herself on track. "I don't go to clubs," she explained. "I just know it's something I can't do without being triggered. And that's okay."
Now as fans, friends and family mourn the sudden loss of Monteith, Lovato's heart goes out to one person in particular: Lea Michele, Monteith's girlfriend.
"The main person in my thoughts is Lea," Lovato says. "I am praying for her so hard and I love her so much. I'm wishing her a lot of strength right now."