Philip Seymour Hoffman Was Supposed to Watch the Super Bowl with Son on the Day He Died
Philip Seymour Hoffman, who died yesterday in New York City of an apparent drug overdose, was supposed to pick up his children on the day he passed away and watch the Super Bowl with his son.
A friend, playwright David Bar Katz, went to his West Village apartment to check on him, and found him alone in the bathroom with a needle in his arm, the NYPD confirms. Medical examiners and detectives arrived on the scene not long after.
"I saw him last week, and he was clean and sober, his old self," Katz told the New York Times of the Capote star, who completed a 10-day rehab stint in May 2013 after a relapse following 23 years of sobriety. "I really thought this chapter was over."
Hoffman, 46, was discovered with a syringe in his arm and two small bags of suspected heroin were found in his home.
The death appears to be heroin related, and New York authorities are looking at a deadly strain of the drug as one of the operating theories , TMZ is reporting.
It is WAY to early to know specifics to the heroin found (which has been linked to 46 deaths). Law enforcement sources told NBC News that authorities at the scene found roughly 50 bags of heroin, numerous syringes, addiction treatment medication, blood pressure medication, and a muscle relaxant.
Hoffman’s family released a statement following his death.
“We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone,” the statement reads. “This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers.”