James Franco Talks Girlfriends, Crushes and “Angry” Texts to Women
So, to help those single ladies get to know the bachelor, here are 10 things we learned about Franco and his outlook on the fairer sex.
1. He had a childhood crush on Winona Ryder (circa Heathers).
“She was so cool as an outsider,” he says. “The first freak and geek.”
2. His high school awkwardness didn’t stop him from landing a girlfriend.
He explains, “I wasn’t the best socializer. I was shy, but I had a girlfriend named Jasmine my last two years. I was lucky to have someone who stuck around like that. I was a little confused and mixed-up when it came to dating.”
3. He got into acting because his girlfriend had to kiss someone in a school play.
According to Franco, he auditioned for a play his high school sweetheart was in because he didn’t like the idea of her kissing another guy. “Half of that jealousy had to do with somebody doing a romantic play with my girlfriend,” he says. “But also, that guy was doing what I wanted to do. He wrote the play, he acted in it, he directed it. I was probably more upset that he was doing that and I wasn’t.”
4. He will like you even if you don’t like his work.
“Yeah. It’s not all of me,” he replies when asked if he’ll ever fall in love with someone who didn’t like his writing. “Yeah. It’s fine.”
5. He believes in monogamy.
“I mean, I believe in it if that’s what you want,” he explains. “There’s a lot to be gained from various scenarios. A certain kind of intimacy and trust. But it’s not to say that monogamy is necessarily the ultimate.”
6. He’s down for marriage. Eventually.
“I’m not against it. I guess it would take the right person. Maybe one day,” he muses.
7. He admires his parents’ marriage.
“My parents stayed married their entire lives. A lot of that came out of the fact that they both had great and intense interests and they somehow worked out ways to pursue what they loved while being supportive of each other.”
8. He won’t necessarily drop everything for love.
If all the women he has ever dated agreed on one thing about him, the actor says it’s that “he’s very busy.”
9. He thinks dating in a digital world is both a blessing and a cruse.
He explains, “You can get to know someone much quicker. The downside is when people aren’t tech savvy and don’t express themselves well through digital media.”
10. He’s learning not to overshare.
“I have to remind myself not to text when I’m angry. Don’t do any social networking while angry.”