For the TL;DR Audience: Here Are The 12 Most Important Things We Learned From Kanye West’s GQ Interview
While the article focused a bit on the 37-year-old rapper’s career in both music and fashion, it centered primarily on his relationship with Kim, their wedding and their celebrity status in the industry.
But since the full interview is insanely long, I pulled the top 12 things I learned from the piece that can pretty much help summarize it in it’s entirety.
1. Kim Kardashian is like a dinosaur or a fighter jet to him. “Kim is this girl who fucking turns me on. I love her. This is who I want to be next to and be around. And then people would try to say, ‘Well, you know, if you’re a musician, you should be with a musician, and if you want to design, you need to be with a girl from the design world.’ I don’t give a fuck about people’s opinions. Because when a kid falls in love with an airplane or a bike or a dinosaur—especially if you’re an only child and it’s not because of the book that the sibling was reading—it’s like, fuck, you mean to tell me that the dinosaurs walked the earth and stuff like that?! That’s amazing! You mean to tell me that these giant multi-ton crafts can fly that fast and that loud, and they can flip, and there’s danger, the possibility of them exploding? That’s fucking cool! You mean to tell me that this girl with this fucking body and this face is also into style, and she’s a nice person, and she has her own money and is family-oriented? That’s just as cool as a fucking fighter jet or dinosaur! And just as rarely seen.”
Kim K life skills. “She is who she is. I am who I am. We have advisers and friends and everything, but those people are who they are and we are who we are. And what I had to learn from Kim is how to take more of her advice and less of other people’s advice. There’s a lot of Kim K skills that were added. In order to win at life, you need some Kim K skills, period.”
3. He considers himself a blowfish. “I’m a blowfish. I’m not a shark, I’m a blowfish… I wasn’t coming out of my house going to a paparazzi’s house toattack them. I’m defending my family in front of my own house,” he says. “I’m defending my name as someone’s screaming something negative at me. That’s a blowfish… People have me pinned as a shark or a predator in some way, and in no way am I that. I wouldn’t want to hurt anyone. I want to defend people. I want to help people.”
4. He doesn’t care the Beyoncé and Jay Z didn’t come to the wedding. “All that, I wouldn’t even speak on. It doesn’t even matter to me whatsoever, who would show up. Because the most important person to show up there, to me, was Kim. And that’s all that matters to me. I had to fight for that for seven years.”
5. And despite not coming, he has nothing but praise for Jay. He has longevity. He’s still at the top of relevancy from the way he moves, the way he interacts with people, his ability to brush things off of his shoulder and just win at life,” explains West. “He’s the poster child of winning. And I think I was the poster child of, like, fighting and winning. But you always saw the fight. And with Jay, you always saw the win.”
toast he gave was not about him; It was about the change of power in pop culture. “I said, ‘Wow, Carine [Roitfeld] is seven seats down from Kim. Farnaz [Farjam], the producer of the Kardashians and the producer of The Real World, is four seats down from [director] Steve McQueen. And four seats, because in between them is Hosain [Rahman] from Jawbone.’ This is what I talked about. That was not a forty-five-minute speech to myself. Do you realize what that means for those people to be in that close of a proximity to each other?… I was so moved that I just wanted people to stop and think they weren’t sitting at a table full of fashion people, they weren’t sitting at a table full of celebrities, they weren’t sitting at a table full of movie directors. It really was a representation of the way we receive information today, post-Internet.”
7. Married life has changed the way he tweets. “Both me and Kim had to learn how to communicate as a team. These are two LeBrons, you know? Meaning she could do shit that a girlfriend in a relationship could never do. Obviously. And I could do stuff that a guy in a relationship could never do. So if you look at half my tweets back then, they were always, like, funny tweets that I wouldn’t be able to say now. It wouldn’t be respectful to my relationship. It’s interesting, as I’m delving into being married: Like, what is my verbal creative communication?”
8. The most liked Instagram pic of Kimye has nothing to do with Kanye. “It’s because of Kim. Meaning there’s no photo that I would have put up by myself, or next to one of my smarty friends, that would have got that amount of likes. So now you take this photo that has that amount of likes, and it has a flower wall from the same guy who does the Lanvin shows, and it has a couture Givenchy dress and Givenchy tuxedo in it. That’s the point. Now the thing that is the most popular is also communicating the highest level of creativity.”
Drake. “Currently that spot is taken. Let’s be honest — he got last summer… And I’d never given it up till last summer.”
10. But he still has a new album in the works, which he may drop in September. “I hope I can get one of these songs out in the next couple of weeks, just to have something up and running. But I think most likely September. I go back and forth. Like, should it be September or should it be October? Should it be November? When Beyoncé was working on her last album, she took a while. I was thinking it could somehow come out in June, like Yeezus, and just kill it for the summer.”
11. He also may have psychic capabilities. “The joke was that I was supposed to say on the song [‘New Day’], ‘Come on, Jay, you know we’re both gonna have daughters.’ And I’m so mad, because you know when I pop that creative-genius shit? If I had had that, that could’ve been my one moment where I’m like: ‘Okay, fuck all the conversation. Look at that. I called that one.’”
12. He thinks being a dad is cooler than wearing a red leather jacket. “I don’t like walking around with people thinking I’m doing uncool shit, because there’s nothing I’m doing that’s uncool. It’s all innovative. You just might not understand it yet. But it’s cool. Family is super cool. Going home to one girl every night is super cool. Just going home and getting on the floor and playing with your child is super cool. Not wearing a red leather jacket, and just looking like a dad and shit, is like super cool. Having someone that I can call Mom again. That shit is super cool.”
Launch the gallery above to read more of Kanye’s most outrageous quotes from years past.
What do you think of his interview? Has Kanye changed for the better? Or the weirder? Comment below!