George Clooney Started a Petition to Support ‘The Interview’ and Sony, ‘But Nobody Signed the Letter’
Not if the subject involves North Korea, Sony and the little movie that couldn’t, The Interview.
In a new interview with Deadline, published Thursday night, Mr. Clooney reveals that he and his agent Bryan Lourd created a petition to show support for Sony et al. following the widely publicized hack. They sent it to “basically the heads of every place” in Hollywood and came back short. Very short.
“They told Bryan Lourd, ‘I can’t sign this.’ What? How can you not sign this?” Clooney said. “I’m not going to name anyone, that’s not what I’m here to do, but nobody signed the letter . . .”
And just in case you weren’t sure how angry this situation has made Clooney, consider this from the Deadline interview:
“This is just where we are right now, how scared this industry has been made. Quite honestly, this would happen in any industry. I don’t know what the answer is, but what happened here is part of a much larger deal. A huge deal. And people are still talking about dumb emails. Understand what is going on right now, because the world just changed on your watch, and you weren’t even paying attention.”
“I just talked to Amy [Pascal] an hour ago. She wants to put that movie out. What do I do? My partner Grant Heslov and I had the conversation with her this morning. Bryan and I had the conversation with her last night. Stick it online. Do whatever you can to get this movie out. Not because everybody has to see the movie, but because I’m not going to be told we can’t see the movie. That’s the most important part. We cannot be told we can’t see something by Kim Jong-un, of all f*cking people.”
Clooney, 53, is the latest celebrity to speak out on Sony’s decision to cancel The Interview’s Christmas Day theatrical release. Following Wednesday’s announcement from the studio, everyone from Judd Apatow to Mia Farrow expressed their rage on Twitter. Steve Carell, whose North Korea-set film Pyongyang was scrapped in the wake of The Interview’s cancellation, summed up the events best, writing, “Sad day for creative expression. #feareatsthesoul.”
For more of Clooney’s take on North Korea and Sony, head over the Deadline. Here’s his petition in full:
On November 24 of this year, Sony Pictures was notified that it was the victim of a cyber attack, the effects of which is the most chilling and devastating of any cyber attack in the history of our country. Personal information including Social Security numbers, email addresses, home addresses, phone numbers and the full texts of emails of tens of thousands of Sony employees was leaked online in an effort to scare and terrorize these workers. The hackers have made both demands and threats. The demand that Sony halt the release of its upcoming comedy The Interview, a satirical film about North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un. Their threats vary from personal—you better behave wisely—to threatening physical harm—not only you but your family is in danger. North Korea has not claimed credit for the attack but has praised the act, calling it a righteous deed and promising merciless measures if the film is released. Meanwhile the hackers insist in their statement that what they’ve done so far is only a small part of our further plan. This is not just an attack on Sony. It involves every studio, every network, every business and every individual in this country. That is why we fully support Sony’s decision not to submit to these hackers’ demands. We know that to give in to these criminals now will open the door for any group that would threaten freedom of expression, privacy and personal liberty. We hope these hackers are brought to justice but until they are, we will not stand in fear. We will stand together.