Chris Soules is no longer a bachelor!
After two months of narrowing down 30 of the most eligible women in the U.S., the 33-year-old farmer from Iowa finally made his decision between Whitney Bischoff and Becca Tilley and became an engaged man.
In what might have been one of the most boring finales of all time, Soules got down on one knee and proposed to Whitney at a candlelit barn on his farm. It was… fine. No sparks, no fireworks. Just simple — like the simple man Soules is.
With that said, here are five things you missed:
1. The Soules family adores Whitney, not so much Becca. The episode kicks off with both girls meeting the Soules family separately. While Whitney — who’s already adamantly professed her undying love for Chris — hits it off with them immediately, they’re a bit skeptical about Becca as she has yet to fall in love with Chris. The moral of the visit? The Soules family adores Whitney and think she’s the right one for him, but they think Chris is more attracted to the challenge of California-girl Becca.
2. The final dates. Chris meets with Becca first for her final date at her hotel room (???) and tries to pry an answer from her about whether or not she truly sees herself falling for him one day — and by pry, we mean they both attempted to articulate some sort of emotion, but as we figured out early in the season, neither of them is particularly good with words. Becca pretty much responds, “I don’t know” to anything and everything he asks, and we knew at that moment it was over.
Whitney, on the other hand, got to visit Chris’ Arlington home on the range and was able to picture raising a family there. Later that evening, she, too, got a hotel room visit during which she pretty much talked the whole time while Chris smiled and nodded his head. We decided Chris does well with Whitney because she makes up for the communication skills he lacks.
What a crazy ride!!! I've had the question asked: "why did you go on this show?"….Why not? I had the time of my life. Met some amazing girls who will be in my life forever and met an amazing guy who showed me that there are good guys out there- the kind who are patient and genuine. Did i fall in love? No- but how would I have known that would be the outcome? Sometimes you have to try things and see what happens! I love @whitb624 and could not be happier for the two of them. Thanks for the ❤️! #thebachelor
3. Goodbye, Becca. Becca pulls up to the decorated farm wearing a gorgeous maroon velvet gown, and as she walks up the stairs to meet Chris, he can’t keep himself from smiling and kissing her — which we have to admit was a little weird, considering he was about to break up with her. Anyway, he puts on a front like he maybe was going to pick her, and then there’s the big “BUT.” He says, “I have to go with my heart and my gut and I don’t think its fair for either of us to take that leap at this point. I don’t think I’m the guy that’s going to be able to give you what you need.” And that was that. Becca never even shed a tear (and we sort of love it).
4. The Proposal. Whitney stunned in a deep blue, off-the-shoulder gown with her hair pinned back, but as she approaches Chris, we can’t help but notice he doesn’t appear to be as thrilled to see her as he was Becca. Then, as per usual, Whitney
ruins kicks off the moment by going into a monologue about how much she loves him. Chris, as per usual, stands there, smiles and nods his head.
Finally Whitney finishes, and Chris is able to add his own, practiced speech: “It’s not work for us, it’s natural… It feels so right, it feels so perfect and that’s what I want for the rest of my life. I love you. Everything about this moment feels right and I want the world to know that I love you, Whitney Bischoff. Will you marry me?”
5. The After the Final Rose ceremony: Chris and Becca talk for the first time since the final rose, and both admit to being in a better place. However, when Becca leaves, host Chris Harrison asks whether or not Soules still has feelings for her. He says no, and though he feels confident he made the right choice, he still admits he could have gotten down on one knee for either woman that day. Now, I don’t know about you, but if I were Whitney, I’d be pissed.
Luckily, the now-engaged fertility nurse didn’t watch the show in order to avoid any sort of heartbreak or reason to question her relationship. She tells Harrison that she is confident in her engagement to Chris and doesn’t read or listen to any of the comments surrounding their relationship.
To conclude Season 19 of The Bachelor, while we really tried being happy for the newly engaged couple for succeeding in their quest to find love, we can’t help but admit it all felt really forced and unnatural. Perhaps it’s just Chris’ awkward demeanor… Or perhaps he felt forced into making a decision (and avoiding any sort of Juan Pablo-like problems)… But only time will tell!
Also notable: There will be TWO Bachelorettes! In what may have bee the most exciting/WTF moment of the night, Chris Harrison announced news for next season of The Bachelorette… There will be TWO: Kaitlyn Bristowe and Britt Nilsson. Pretty much everyone hates this idea, including us, because there was clearly ONE fan favorite… With that said, #TeamKaitlyn!
Until a very dramatic Bachelorette kicks off in May… That’s a wrap!