Here Are 12 Things We Learned from the ‘Gilmore Girls’ Reunion
The Gilmore Girls cast reunited yesterday, 8 years after the series wrapped!
So, what’s the status on that?
Sherman-Palladino revealed, “There’s nothing in the works at the moment.” But, have hope, Gilmore fans!
“Here’s the good thing,” she added. “Nobody here hates each other. It would have to be the right everything – the right format, the right timing… it would have to be honored in a certain way. And if it ever came around, we would all jump in and do it. And if it ever happened, I promise you I’d do it correctly.”
The reunion did bring to light several other revelations, at least.
If you need to relive Stars Hollow and some of the best moments from the show first, take a look at our favorite 40 GIFs. Then smile and hear about the show from the cast themselves.
Here are 12 things we learned.
1. There isn’t a movie in the works (yet).
2. Alexis Bledel was attending NYU at the time she was cast as Rory Gilmore, and had only done five or six auditions ever in her life before Gilmore Girls.
I was at NYU and I just became interested in acting. I was at their film school and I was modeling to help pay for school… I was at my last modeling job and it involved large Home Depot buckets of water being thrown at my head … I looked like poor, miserable, ‘Is this really happening?’…I was thinking this modeling thing isn’t working out, plus I put on my freshman 15 so it really wasn’t working out…This was like my fifth or sixth audition…
“Ever!” Lauren Graham (who played Lorelai) interjected.
3. Dean (played by Jared Padelecki) was originally going to be Canadian.
Sherman explained, “There was another Dean. A Candian Dean. Two Canadian Deans. Then we realized you gotta go American.”
4. Bledel and Graham confess they now forget the contexts for why they said some of their most memorable lines (“Oy with the poodles,” for example, or “Copper boom!”).
“Why did I say [“Oy with the poodles”] and why did you like it so much?” Graham wondered. (It was to shut up the yappy people!)
5. RIP Edward Herrmann, who passed away in December.
Sherman-Palladino revealed he was the first cast member who said he’d be at the panel. “It’s really crappy that he’s gone and we miss him so much,” she said. “I think I speak for all of us in saying we were so surprised …. I’m so grateful I got to hear him say my words … He was a drinking, loving, knew everything in the world… he was our Mr. President.”
6. Sherman-Palladino had to fight to get Melissa McCarthy (who is now one of the most in demand comedic actresses in Hollywood) casted as Sookie.
They weren’t sure. It wasn’t that people didn’t like her, but she was a different energy. She was a different kind of chick. And the part was just written for a woman, There was no body type, there was nothing specific about it. I was like, ‘I need someone funny who could really act.’
It was a tricky sell and it took awhile…everybody came around; it took a few shows.”
7. On the subject of Rory’s boyfriends, the actors who played who love interests pick their favorites.
Scott Patterson (Luke), however, drew cheers from the crowd when he said, “None of you are good enough for Rory.”
8. Where are the characters now?
Liza Weil believes Paris and Doyle are still together and hopes they are “taking over the f—ing world.”
Czucry thinks “Logan would not be working.”
Padelecki thinks “Dean Forrester would probably worked long and hard at the market and probably would have taken over.”
9. Graham isn’t 100% satisfied with the way Lorelai’s storyline ended.
I just love the tension between [Luke and Lorelai] so much…For me, it didn’t end in a satisfying way. We weren’t sure it was the end. Amy wasn’t with us in the last season. I can’t answer it because it didn’t really end. It didn’t resolve satisfactorily.
However, she added, “I think they’re together 100 percent.”
(Due to contract disputes with Warner Brothers, Sherman-Palladino did not take part in the show’s seventh and last season).
10. Graham was not a fan of Lorelai and Rory’s rift:
I remember not liking it. I remember really struggling with it and feeling bad. It was difficult, as it should have been. It was hard, but it set up something that was also important.
11. Ventimiglia revealed he kept Jess’ leather jacket from the show. *Swoon*
12. Sherman-Palladino thinks Luke and Lorelai probably did get married.
[Lead Photo Credit: Instagram @todayshow]