‘Magic Mike XXL’ Sizzles on Screen, Fizzles at Box Office
While Magic Mike XXL was able to get everyone hot and bothered inside the theaters, the film failed to bring in enough hot and bothered bodies to reach number one at the box office.
Despite the allure of Channing Tatum, Joe Manganiello and Matt Bomer, the four-week rule of Universal’s dinosaur sensation Jurassic World continued with an estimated $30.9 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.
The film opened to $11.6 million over the three-day weekend. Over the five-day weekend Magic Mike XXL brought in $26.7 million.
2012’s Magic Mike made $39 million opening weekend on a $7 million budget.
Estimates for Magic Mike had it making between $45 million and $48 million over the five-day weekend.
Don’t count the film out though. Industry insiders say that the fact that July 4th landed on a Saturday hurt box office numbers overall, plus the film had an insanely high female turnout — 96 percent women. Word of mouth and positive film reviews could give the movie some legs.
Tatum and Manganiello were spotted arriving in Sydney, for the film’s Australian premiere. Check out more pics of their arrival in the gallery above.
The top 10 box office receipts are listed below:
1. Jurassic World, $30.9 million ($42 million international).
2. Inside Out, $30.1 million ($18.6 million international).
3. Terminator: Genisys, $28.7 million ($74 million international).
4. Magic Mike XXL, $12 million ($6.2 million international)
5. Ted 2, $11 million ($18.8 million international).
6. Max, $7 million.
7. Spy, $5.5 million ($3.4 million international).
8. San Andreas, $3 million.
9. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, $1.3 million.
10. Dope, $1.1 million.