12 Facts About Ariel Winter and Her Breast Reduction Surgery from Her ‘Glamour’ Confessional
Winter, who portrays Alex Dunphy on ABC’s Modern Family, has been struggling with a personal issue behind-the-scenes that she finally decided to bring into the spotlight as a message of body positivity for young women. The 17-year-old starlet tells Glamour that she underwent breast reduction surgery in June to reduce her cup size from an 32 F to a 34 D.
She describes the change in her body as almost occurring overnight.
“I remember being in my sister’s wedding and being so flat and thinking, ‘I just wish I would grow boobs!’ and then overnight I did. But then they kept growing and growing and growing and it didn’t seem like they were going to stop.”
Between the physical discomfort and the emotional turmoil that arose as a result of her growing breasts, Winter decided that something needed to give. Thus, she scheduled the surgery that would reduce the size of her chest and lift a heavy burden off of her heart.
Here are 12 important things to know about Ariel Winter and her breast reduction surgery from her interview with Glamour magazine.
1. Despite a strong exterior, Winter felt dragged down by public commentary on her figure.
“I definitely seemed confident; I’m an actress, that’s what we do. But on the inside, I wasn’t feeling so happy.”
2. Her “mature” wardrobe choices over the past recent years were not made willingly.
“There was so little that I could wear that was age-appropriate. I’d have to wear the dress that was super tight and form-fitted everywhere because if I didn’t, it didn’t look good.”
3. She wants to be known for more than just her cleavage.
“Every article that has to do with me on a red carpet always had to do with ‘Ariel Winter’s Crazy Cleavage!’ Or ‘Ariel Winter Shows Huge Boobs At An Event!’ … not, “Oh, she does great work on Modern Family.”
4. Julie Bowen was the only Modern Family co-star in the know about her procedure, who was “really supportive and understanding”.
via FameFlynet, Inc
5. The size of her breasts hindered Winter from auditioning for roles that were relevant to her age.
6. She lives by the Golden Rule, treating others with kindness and respect, due to the lack of positivity in her private life.
“I never really saw [a positive] role model, so for me, that made me just want to be the opposite of what I had.”
7. Winter decided to open up about her breast reduction so that her story might instill similar confidence in her fans.
“I am living a dream that a lot of girls my age would love to be living, and … I’m really grateful that I’m able to do that and have a voice that I’m able to speak to teenagers.”
7. Her sister Shanelle has been her greatest support system throughout the entire process, even persuading Winter to attend therapy.
9. A perk about having smaller breasts is that people look her in the eye when speaking to her.
10. Winter’s estranged mother will find out about her daughter’s surgery via her Glamour interview.
“She and I don’t speak. She will find out by reading it and that’s the way that is.”
11. Though her character’s style on Modern Family might change, she will always embrace the flannel.
12. Winter’s regret count is at zero.
“You just feel so relieved and excited. You feel like a new person. You feel like this is how I was supposed to be.”
Read Ariel Winter’s full interview here on Glamour.com. Lead photo via Glamour.
Launch the gallery featured at the top of the page to view photos from Ariel’s gorgeous night at the prom!