12 Insights on Selena Gomez’s ‘Revival’ Journey, Uncovered by ‘Refinery29′
Garnering a new lease on life comes at a high cost.
Selena Gomez is in full Revival season speaking exclusively to Refinery29 about the inspiration behind her latest album, all-inclusive of heartbreak, self-exploration, and vicious media outlets who pride themselves on picking a 23-year-old girl’s body image apart.
Here are 12 things that you should know about Selena Gomez and her Revival as surfaced by Refinery29.
“At the end of the day, it’s respecting every female artist’s choice in how she expresses herself, because that’s what she wants.”
2. James Franco stans for Gomez.
“If she were allowed to play [more] roles beyond just teenagers with teen interests, she would show her innate maturity and strength,” Franco explained. “She has had to face pressures and scrutiny at a young age that most never face in a lifetime. So when she is able to display the strength and leadership she has developed, she shines.”
3. She has six tattoos.
“I wanted something small to test the waters. Now I’m addicted.”
4. Gomez and her crew retreated to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to find inspiration after spending three months in the studio.
“I think [the label] thought I was trying to get a free vacation,” Gomez says. “I just felt this sense of groundedness and structure and stability I had been craving for a long time.”
5. She considers the process behind Revival as her “dark season” as she shied away from the public eye to focus on true relationships in her life.
“I have a lot of friends in the business, but at the end of the day, [my roommates, my cousin, and Taylor Swift] are who I call crying.”
6. Plus, she now recognizes those who were only meant to grow with her temporarily.
“I think there are people who have been in my life who are seasonal,” says Gomez. “Even people who I have dated have been just that. It’s part of growing up.”
7. Tabloids are the worst.
“I’d sit down in an interview and get the most harshly asked questions. Of course I got my heart broken. Of course I was pissed about it … I was so disappointed, because I never wanted my career to be a tabloid story.”
8. Being sexy is more than okay.
“I think I have a very healthy perspective on my sexuality. It’s part of being an adult, and I’m still figuring out how to be one of those, too.”
9. She gives great hugs.
10. Gomez wants to be a strong role model for her younger fans.
“I just want them to know that there is an option of standing up for yourself.”
12. The most important thing that Gomez wants you to know?
“I’m just a nice person.”