Leonardo DiCaprio Wasn’t Ready for ‘Star Wars’ and Neither Was Hayden Christensen

The Force game is too strong.

Leonardo DiCaprio revealed some of the roles that he passed on earlier in his career in an interview with ShortList magazine, which include Spiderman and Anakin Skywalker in George Lucas’s Star Wars prequels. His meeting with the creator ended with an “it’s me, not you” scenario where Lucas wanted him, but DiCaprio felt that he wasn’t ready to assume the role. “[I] just didn’t feel ready to take that dive,” says the actor. “At that point.”

Now DiCaprio looks at a Star Wars and other opportunities for superhero movies with plausible interest. “You never know. You never know,” he says. “They’re getting better and better as far as complex characters in these movies. I haven’t yet. But no, I don’t rule out anything.”

Comments from current Anakin Skywalker, Hayden Christensen, express that DiCaprio’s instincts about the role’s impact were right on the money. Christensen explains to The Los Angeles Times that his brief hiatus from film following the Star Wars prequel came as a result of not feeling ready for the role offers that followed.

“I guess I felt like I had this great thing in Star Wars that provided all these opportunities and gave me a career, but it all kind of felt a little too handed to me,” he said. “I didn’t want to go through life feeling like I was just riding a wave.”

Christensen made his return to the big screen in 90 Minutes in Heaven, based on the New York Times best-selling book by Don Piper with Cecil Murphey.

Launch the gallery at the top of the page to view photos leaving La Guerite Restaurant in France after grabbing dinner yesterday (Dec. 29, 2015) with friends.