One Direction Might Have Pulled a ‘New Phone Who Dis’ on Zayn Malik
According to Zayn Malik, that is.
In other words, he hasn’t talked to One Direction, and it’s not because he hasn’t tried.
Here are 14 things we learned:
1. He and the One Direction boys don’t talk because “certain phone numbers have changed”…
The truth of it is, you can think one thing about a situation and the total opposite can happen. I had every intention of remaining friends with everybody, but I guess certain phone numbers have changed and I haven’t received calls from a lot of people. I’ve reached out to a few of them and not got a reply. Certain people have pride issues, but it’s stuff you overcome in time.
2. He’s looking for a relationship that’s a “challenge,” and for a girl that’s “chunky” in some areas:
I need a challenge. Also, I like girls that are a bit chunky in certain areas — the nice areas. I like a fuller woman. I enjoy an intellectual conversation as well, where someone can construct a sentence beyond what hair and makeup they’re wearing, and talk about something political or about the world. I like an opinion.
3. 1D’s style just isn’t him because he doesn’t f*ck with indie rock:
I genuinely enjoyed [the band] and did whatever I could to be myself within that, but it’s just not where I sit as a musician. The other boys’ taste was generally indie rock. It’s good music, but I don’t f— with it. That was never cool where I was from.
4. The 22-year-old went camping in pursuit of his muse.
We went camping for a week in the Angeles Forest — set up a generator and a tent so we could track in the woods. It was the complete opposite of what he’d been doing. We had the gas grill, BB guns, bows and arrows. It was a shittin’-in-the-woods-type thing.
5. After his breakup with Edwards and the band, he went home to mom in Bradford and got healthy.
I went home. I seen my mum, who cooked me some great food. I ate for three weeks because I’d lost so much weight in the band. I seen my sisters and put my dad’s sheepskin on — I walked around and everyone thought I was him. Nobody bothered me. It was good for my soul to be back in Bradford.
6. His birth name, Zain Javadd Malik, means “beautiful, generous king” in Arabic, he’s of mixed heritage, and he’s Muslim.
Billboard notes his mom “Trisha Malik (nee Brannan), is Irish-English but adopted her husband’s Muslim faith and worked for a time as a halal chef at a local elementary school,” and his dad “Yaser, is British Pakistani, and raised his son on a diet of Usher, R. Kelly, 2Pac, Biggie and classic reggae like Gregory Isaacs.”
However, he understandably declined to discuss his faith.
And what a beautiful king he is:
7. He almost missed his X Factor audition in 2010 because he wanted to sleep in.
I was a different person then. I was 17 and like, ‘F— the world!’ I thought I was 2Pac and I’m really not.
8. He describes his time in One Direction as being like an overworked (and highly supervised) machine:
It was like a f—ing machine going constantly…
We weren’t allowed to say certain things, or word [lyrics] the way we would want to. I’d sit and wonder, ‘If the fans knew how it worked, what would they think?’ My argument was: People are more intelligent than that. They want to hear what’s real, so why don’t we write some stuff that we’re actually going through?
9. He graffitis his house:
I like to graffiti my house. The garden goes up three stories into the mountain. There are these walls that look white from one side, but when you walk up the stairs, the inside is all graffiti. I painted ‘Fresh Prince’ on one.
And he’s decorating his house in LA too: “I’m doing a collage wall with Polaroids, drawings, paintings and all kinds of crazy stuff.”
10. Billboard calls him your “average bro” because fan girls haven’t taught him anything about women:
I was raised by a lot of women, so there’s nothing any fan girl could’ve ever taught me about any woman. I fully understood every person who’d come and see the band, because I have crazy aunties and crazy sisters who would fan-girl over actors. If people can’t have something, they want it.
11. He’s not “censoring” himself anymore:
I’ll come down here and record maybe seven songs a night. That’s because I’m enjoying what I’m doing. I’m not censoring myself anymore, so I’m not tired. I love it.
12. He smokes pot, but only sativa (which Billboard describes as “the more energizing, cerebral strain of marijuana”) because it’s “creative weed,” Malik says.
13. Malik hasn’t listened to Made in the A.M.
Nah. I’ll be honest. I thought the first single was quite cool. I heard the second single and…yeah, I didn’t buy the album.
14. When asked what he accomplished as a member of One Direction, he says “status” and:
…The capability to restrain certain things I would want to do. I also learned it’s good to keep friends. Because you don’t know when you’re going to make new ones, so you should probably just keep the old ones.