Celebuzz’d Episode 003: Blank White ‘Formation’ FOMO
Let’s keep the staplers out of this.
Want to know something that gets us buzzing? Here’s a hint. It begins with “cultural” and ends with “insensitivity”. We’ve seen a rise in appropriation in pop music as “cool” elements of black culture have slowly, but surely been plucked from where they belong and sloppily recycled in unkempt “Blank Space(s)”. Think to Taylor Swift’s “Shake It Off”, Miley Cyrus’s incessant twerking and Iggy Azalea almost always. But when did white FOMO, the fear of missing out, become so contagious that it trickled down through the mainstream gutter and into thirsty YouTube covers?
With Beyoncé‘s call to “Formation”, a curtain of blind enthusiasm fell over the eyes and ears of the general public who sought immediate action to renew their membership within the BeyHive. White men and women mounted their DSLR cameras atop baby grand pianos to perform cover after cover, not once stopping to consider that the “negro nose” of which they sang was not their lyric to embody. A black and white filter does not neutralize a culture, nor the societal injustices which they face. Art was never meant to be universal. Sure, Cheddar Bay Biscuits and hot sauce can be shared, but these images are only threads of a much larger and critical social tapestry.
On this third episode of Celebuzz’d, Celebuzz’s new podcast, editors Mia Lardiere and Matt Russoniello are joined by VIBE editor Iyana Robertson to discuss the waning nature of covers in pop culture in the instances of “Formation” and Rihanna’s “Work” among other hot topics in this week’s celebrity news.
Here are the stories we talked about in the Kardashian Kountdown:
- Kylie Jenner and Kim Kardashian swapped faces on Snapchat and were still ultimately the same people
- Kendall Jenner got into an altercation with a paparazzo to cover Gigi Hadid while leaving a nightclub during Paris Fashion Week
- Caitlyn Jenner said that she and the girls on her show should be Ted Cruz’s “trans ambassadors”
- Rob Kardashian clarified that he and Blac Chyna did not break up, then presented us with their couple name, which is a gift that keeps on giving
- Kim Kardashian posted an old nude photo of herself, which caused Twitter to erupt in World War III over accused “slut shaming” from Bette Midler and Chloë Grace Moretz
And in other news:
- Erin Andrews was awarded $55 million in damages after she was secretly filmed in her hotel room back in 2008 by a stalker
- Lady Gaga followed through on a tattoo pact with the sexual assault survivors from her Grammys performance and did a polar plunge in the same week
- Tituss Burgess from The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt announced that he has his own line of Pinot Noir wine on the way, plus the Mean Girls musical was confirmed (i.e. Tina Fey is still killing it)
- Tennis star Maria Sharapova revealed that she failed a doping test during the 2016 Australian Open due to Meldonium, a drug that improves blood flow and treats heart issues.
- Controversy broke out on Twitter over white people covering Beyonce’s “Formation” and Rihanna’s “Work”
Be sure to check out our new weekly K-pop feature, plus Iyana’s spectacular feature interview with Chris Brown over on VIBE. Catch up on previous episodes of Celebuzz’d here and subscribe to our SoundCloud channel to get updates when new episodes become available.