Chyna’s Death Likely an Accidental Overdose
Chyna’s manager is speaking out on her untimely death.
The WWE superstar wrestler, whose birth name was Joan Marie Laurer, passed away at age 46 on April 20.
The Associated Press reports that her manager Anthony Anzaldo, who discovered her body at her Redondo Beach home, believes she died from misuse of sleeping pills and tranquilizers over the course of the past two or three weeks.
He says “It’s a 98 percent certainty and 2 percent speculation.”
Anzaldo adds that Chyna “was a lifelong insomniac” who ” had prescriptions for Ambien and a generic version of the anti-anxiety drug Valium,” Us Weekly reports.
Us Weekly continues:
Despite a history of drinking, her manager said there was no alcohol in her home at the time of her death, though the manager claims he suspects the sportswoman and actress had been “self-medicating a little bit more than she should have” because she had begun seeing a psychiatrist for the first time, was attending a women’s domestic violence group and had visited the grave of her estranged father.
“A lot was going on in her life emotionally,” Anzaldo continued. “But she wasn’t depressed; it was just a lot to deal with. She accidentally, over the course of two or three weeks, misused her legally prescribed medication,” he added. “They’re not going to find, like, 60 pills in her stomach.”
Her official cause of death has still yet to be determined by the Los Angeles coroner’s office, who are awaiting toxicology results. Yesterday, it was reported that her brain was going to be donated to researcher Dr. Bennet Omalu (who was played by Will Smith in the recent film Concussion), to determine if the late wrestling star suffered any chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) caused by repeated blows to the head during her time in the ring.