Here’s What Happened When Kanye West Tried to Surprise Webster Hall with a Performance

Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Prepare to Sue Former Bodyguard
The Wests will do anything to protect their image

It’s usually a good idea to call ahead, ‘Ye.

When Kanye West was unable to give his headlining performance at the Governors Ball music festival on Sunday night (Jun. 5) due to inclement weather, he attempted to make it up to concertgoers by finding another venue to occupy instead. His creative director, Virgil Abloh, posted a photo on Instagram that stated in the caption, referencing Hot 97’s hip-hop concert in New Jersey,”Summer Jam now. We’re doing PABLO at 2 am in Manhattan. Sorting out where now.”

This caption was later updated to read, “Summer jam now. **PABLO details being sorted. update shortly.”

Kim Kardashian documented West on a phone call demanding that someone, “Call the mayor and shut down the block about four streets and put screens up so they can have a party outside.” “I hear it’s sold out already,” he can be heard saying in the video below.

Rumor spread that the concert would take place at Webster Hall in New York City, at 2 a.m., and West tweeted out:

A crowd of approximately 4,000 people swarmed to the East Village concert hall around 1 a.m., singing his biggest hits and chanting, “Pablo! Pablo!” The scene was described as “pandemonium” and caused so much chaos that West’s own vehicle had difficulty rolling through the street.

West stood through his car’s sunroof and fans climbed onto whatever elevated surfaces they could find (cars, dumpsters, etc.) to get a better view of the artist, but the venue tweeted out at 1:45 a.m.:

Police arrived to help disperse the crowd, arresting one person for disorderly conduct, and the caption on West’s creative director’s Instagram account was updated to “**PABLO – cancelled due to safety priority.” It took two hours after the show was officially cancelled for the cops to clear the street, but a security guard for Webster Hall told New York Daily News that the “I Am a God” rapper was “really close” to performing before the show was shut down.