Report: Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt Reach New Temporary Custody Agreement
A rep for Jolie told Entertainment Tonight that “childcare professionals have encouraged a legal agreement accepted and signed by both sides over a week ago.”
The statement said, “In accordance with this agreement, the six children will stay in their mother’s custody, and the children will continue therapeutic visits with their father. This has been determined by childcare professionals to be in the children’s best interest.”
The rep added, “We are not in a position to discuss the details. We hope, now that it is clear that the events which led to the dissolution filing involved minor children and their well being, there will be understanding of the sensitivity of the family situation. We believe that all sides are committed to healing the family and ask for your consideration during this difficult time.”
A source told ET that Jolie and Pitt spoke directly with one another to reach this new custody agreement and is separate from the voluntary safety plan implemented by the Department of Child and Family Services that was extended last month.
The insider said, “This is what Brad and Angelina have decided between each other for the children. The agreement is also indefinite, so there is no time frame to it, it is in place until they decide to make a change…This is a good sign, it is the first step. This means one issue is now off the table for them.”
Pitt filed his own divorce petition last Friday (Nov. 4, 2016) in which he asked for joint custody of the couple’s children: Maddox, 15; Pax, 12; Zahara, 11; Shiloh, 10; and 8-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne.
Despite working out a custody agreement, the ET source said Pitt will not be withdrawing his petition for shared custody, as it “preserves his rights in the future.”