Jenny McCarthy Calls Mariah Carey’s New Year’s Eve Performance a ‘Complete Trainwreck’

Jenny McCarthy isn’t mincing words when it comes to describing Mariah Carey’s New Year’s Eve performance in New York City’s Time Square.

The former Playboy model, who’s co-hosted the event for last seven years, blasted the singer during her SiriusXM show on Tuesday (Jan. 3, 2016) and called out Carey for blaming Dick Clark Productions for allegedly “sabotaging” the show for ratings.

“It was just, it was so bad, and then for a moment I said, ‘Take a step back, Jenny, and try to find some empathy right now.’ And I did. All of a sudden I felt really bad for her, because it was that bad. It was a complete trainwreck,” McCarthy recalled. “Now, I do understand our egos, of course, want to blame everyone but itself for mistakes, but I literally had a visceral reaction to her saying that Dick Clark Productions did this on purpose and for ratings.”

“I mean, let me tell you something. If Dick Clark were alive today, I guarantee he would be on air right now fighting back. He’s not, so I’m going to,” she continued. “The truth of the matter is Mariah didn’t do a sound check. … She did whatever you would call, like, a dance move rehearsal holding her gold microphone, and she stood off to the side of the stage while she had a stand-in do a sound check.”

McCarthy’s husband Donnie Wahlberg, who was in the audience when Carey took the stage, also slammed the elusive chanteuse for not taking accountability for her actions. At the time, Carey told the audience she couldn’t hear the backing track to her songs and refused to sing during what was supposed to be live renditions of “Emotion” and “We Belong Together”.

“The buck stops with the artist. If you’re gonna be a boss or you’re gonna be a diva, then you know, again, it’s your name, your face and your legacy on the line,” the New Kids on the Block singer said. “So you leave something to someone else, you have no one to blame but yourself. The music track, missing a vocal, that’s on her. No rehearsal, that’s on her.”

Earlier this week, Dick Clark Productions refuted Carey’s claims that they deliberately set her up to fail, saying, “In very rare instances there are of course technical errors that can occur with live television, however, an initial investigation has indicated that dcp had no involvement in the challenges associated with Ms. Carey’s New Year’s Eve performance. We want to be clear that we have the utmost respect for Ms. Carey as an artist and acknowledge her tremendous accomplishments in the industry.”

The same day McCarthy dissed her on radio, Carey broke her silence about the lip sync flub. Speaking with Entertainment Weekly, the 46-year-old said that she was “mortified” about the whole incident.

“All I can say is Dick Clark was an incredible person and I was lucky enough to work with him when I first started in the music business. I’m of the opinion that Dick Clark would not have let an artist go through that and he would have been as mortified as I was in real time,” she shared.

Thanking fans for their support, Carey added, “It’s not going to stop me from doing a live event in the future. But it will make me less trusting of using anyone outside of my own team.”