The holidays are my favorite time of year, especially since I’m on the road so much. To make things even sweeter, this year I’m doing something I’ve never done before — I’m providing design insight and inspiration to a life-size gingerbread house at Great Wolf Lodge. Throughout the month of December, when families dine inside these edible creations, a portion of the proceeds will benefit Big Brothers Big Sisters.
Some of the design inspiration that I’ve added to these sweet treats include, icing icicles dripping from the roof, candy button wallpaper, poinsettias made of gingerbread and a sled out front giving the houses some candy curb appeal.
Families that visit one of the 11 Great Wolf Lodge properties nationwide can get inspired to create their own winter wonderlands at home.
With a simple wood frame found at your local craft store, kids can get creative by decorating with glue sticks and candy. Red and green Pop Rocks, Nerds and peppermints are some of my favorites.
This is a great indoor project kids can do when it’s too cold to play outside, and the finished project is a perfect treat to hold your holiday family photos all season long.
Additional tips and tricks for turning your home into a winter wonderland this year include:
· When decorating your Christmas tree, use fake snow, clear lights, and ornaments adorned in white and silver alongside glass icicles, to give a snowy, outdoor feel. Don’t forget to use spray snow or flocking before you light and decorate the tree!
· In the dining room, lay a white tablecloth across the table and add a centerpiece of red and silver ornaments or pine cones sprinkled with silver glitter. Include subtle light with candles atop a festive table runner. Adding a dimmer switch in the room will really set the mood at dinnertime with your loved ones.
· Spread cheer throughout the house by introducing new seasonal colors with throw pillows or blankets. Red, green and silver accents will give your home an updated holiday feel without breaking the bank.
· Decorate the windows with spray frost or stickers and place a flameless candle in each window to shimmer on the snow at night.
· To put the finishing touches on your holiday home both inside and out, take the decorating outside by lining the driveway with white lights and hanging icicle lights from the rooftop.
For more winter wonderland design inspiration, head to your nearest Great Wolf Lodge, or visit greatwolf.com/Snowland.
No changes are to be made to this player