However, there have been occasions when the 24-hour music channel has been forced to step in and edit, censor — and sometimes even ban — some musicians’ work.
Did you know the network has taken liberty to change some videos, be it because of racy material or highly suggestive lyrics?
Celebuzz has compiled the top ten videos that were either banned or censored by MTV – and we have the reasons why.
1. “Guilty Conscience” by Eminem. The rapper’s lyrics were censored by MTV and the final scene in the video – where a murder takes place – was taken out entirely by the music network.
2. “How We Do (Party)” by Rita Ora. MTV changed some of the words to her hit single to make them more audience-friendly.
3. “This Love” by Maroon 5. The band’s video wasn’t altered much, but MTV had the words “coming” and “sinking” edited out to ensure the material was appropriate.
4. “They Don’t Care About Us” by Michael Jackson. Jackson was furious with MTV after they changed the words to the bridge of his famous song.
5. “Alejandro” by Lady Gaga. While the video wasn’t completely banned, MTV relegated it to air only during the midnight hours on one of their sister stations.
6. “S&M” by Rihanna. Due to the sexually suggestive content in the video, MTV first restricted the video’s air time and later banned it altogether.
8. “Hip Hop is Dead” by Nas. MTV tweaked the lyrics to make them less violence-heavy and graphic for its viewers.
9. “Paper Planes” by M.I.A. The sounds of guns shooting in the chorus were replaced by cash register noises in order to remove any references to murder.
10. “Justify My Love” by Madonna. The video featured featured sadomasochism, voyeurism and bisexuality. It was pulled from the air.
Which is your favorite video that’s been too hot for TV?
No changes are to be made to this player