Incredible Stories From The Boston Marathon Bombing

at 3:00 pm | By

Dr. Vivek Shah was only yards away from the finish line when the first bomb detonated like a cannon.

Overcoming severe exhaustion, the brave surgeon raced over to help the badly injured victims, all the while not knowing if his wife, baby daughter and parents were among them.

“I kept looking at the victims faces thinking that I might see my own family,” he told Celebuzz.

(Photo: Facebook)

Dr. Shah’s wife, Jennifer, went to cheer her husband on along with their 16-month old-baby daughter, Savannah, and his parents while he competed in his fifth Boston marathon.

Fortunately, they had found seating just down from the explosion and were not directly hit by the blast.

“Normally, when I finish a marathon I am exhausted, but my energy levels kicked-in as I raced over to help people,” he added.

“Some of the injuries were horrific and we used tourniquets to help people from losing blood, but as I treated people I kept thinking about my own family.

“As more medics arrived to help I got up and started to look for my family and within a few minutes I found them and miraculously they were all fine.”

(Photo: Facebook)

Dr. Shah, who lives in Boston, returned to work today at New England Baptist Hospital.

But he posted a message on his Facebook to reassure his family and friends following the explosion.

It reads: “Dear family and friends, we are all ok. We were right there but we are all ok. Thanks for your love and support.”

The heroic physician admits that he’s still processing what happened to him, but is now determined to run the race once again next year to defy the terrorists.

Another courageous witness to the tragic events of the day was sixth grade special education teacher Andrea George, who was watching the marathon with friends from the packed streets, filled with families and children out to celebrate Patriot’s Day.

She spoke with Celebuzz about her experience April 15, 2013 — a day she, like the rest of America, will forever be seared in our memories and history books.

“I was around the finish line waiting for a friend.

“She was headed right where the first explosion took place. When the explosion went off I tried to get in touch with her and I couldn’t.

(Photo L-R: Dave and Diane Benson and Andrea George)

I didn’t know if between our last conversation she went somewhere and why she wouldn’t be there.

“I kept telling my friends ‘I’m fine, but call Danielle.’

“A friend of mine had been in the bleachers. He’s fine, but he saw people who lost their limbs. Fortunately, I didn’t because I would never be able to get that image out of my head.

(Photo: Andrea George)

When I couldn’t find my friend I actually looked for her in one of the tent and my friends pulled me away. They didn’t want me to see the sights of those injuries.

“At that time, I just saw a lot of people being taken away in gurneys. There were kids crying and people running for their safety. All I could think was the bombs went off and I’m running away.

(Photo: Andrea George)

I ended up finding her [my friend], thankfully. Her phone had died and they were going to get something to eat when the first explosion happened. And she was not injured, fortunately.

“My [other] friend actually got separated from her husband. She wanted to look for him, but I kept telling her we had a meeting place where we told everyone we’d meet them at in case we got lost. So I kept telling her ‘he’s going to look for you there.’

“And I have never seen two people run to each other like that before. It was like a scene out of a movie.

“I’m a sixth grade special education teacher and I’m horrified that the world I was in as a child is very different today as an adult.”

(Photo: Andrea George)

Celebuzz Single Player No Autoplay (CORE)
No changes are to be made to this player