Despite what Tom DeLongeinsists on his personal social media accounts, his bandmates Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker say that the vocalist is definitely out of Blink-182 and is no longer a part of the pop punk outfit.
In a new interview with Rolling Stone, Hoppus, who co-founded Blink-182 with DeLonge in 1992, and Travis clear up any confusion about the recent rumors that there’s been a seismic shift in their lineup.
“Every single thing that we’ve heard from his camp — from e-mails from his manager to our production team — was, ‘Tom is out indefinitely. For the foreseeable future, Tom is done,'” Hoppus said of DeLonge. “To be honest, I wasn’t that surprised because his attitude leading up to that had been not excited and not interested. Even though we’d been talking about recording and dates, things kept getting pushed back.”
According to a statement released by Hoppus and Barker on Monday, the duo will be moving forward without DeLonge as he works “on his other, nonmusical endeavors.” In the meantime, Alkaline Trio‘s Matt Skiba will fill DeLonge’s place at the 8th annual Musink tattoo convention and music festival.
Following the announcement, DeLonge quickly took to his Facebook page to denounce any reports that he has left the band, writing, “To all the fans, I never quit the band. I actually was on a phone call about a blink 182 event for New York City at the time all these weird press releases started coming in… Apparently those releases were ‘sanctioned’ from the band. Are we dysfunctional- yes. But, Christ….. #Awkward.”
However, the awkwardness seems to be on DeLonge end. Barker, who joined the group as the drummer in 1998, claims the singer is not telling the truth about the situation.
“I think he’s just bummed because Mark and I were finally honest. We always covered up for him before. It was always, ‘We’re going to record an album,’ then ‘Tom refuses to get into the studio without a record deal.’ So everyone does hella amounts of work to get a record deal and now Tom isn’t part of Blink-182,” he said of his reaction to DeLonge’s contradicting statement. “It’s hard to cover for someone who’s disrespectful and ungrateful. You don’t even have the balls to call your bandmates and tell them you’re not going to record or do anything Blink-related. You have your manager do it. Everyone should know what the story is with him and it’s been years with it.”
“Why Blink even got back together in the first place is questionable,” Barker continued. “I think he’s just in shock that he’s finally been exposed. The truth is out. I just don’t think he knows how to deal with it, so he says, ‘I didn’t quit the band. I’m booking Blink shows as we speak.’ You’re not the booking agent. We all know that’s a lie.”
“Travis and I and the whole Blink-182 organization have bent over backwards for years to accommodate all of the stuff that Tom wanted to try,” Hoppus added. “We’ve done everything that we could to give Tom what he says he needs. It’s been years of pushing back and I have to tell you: It feels humiliating to be in a band where you have to be apologizing for one person all the time. That’s how it’s felt for a long time.”
Since the publication of the Rolling Stone article, DeLonge fired back at his band on a now-deleted tweet, reading: “A year ago Mark and I spent a week on the phone with managers debating parting with Travis. Don’t pretend there isn’t more to the story.”
DeLonge also wrote a lengthy message about the shake-up on his Facebook.