Mariah Carey is known for her impressive run of no. 1 singles. She is also known for being a masterfully shady diva. These two reputations come together in the lyric video for her new single, “Infinity,” which addresses the end of her marriage to Nick Cannon.
The song is one long, delicious, ’90s-influenced sip of #TruthTea, with Carey delivering the following lines (among many, many others):
- “Why you mad? / talkin’ bout you mad / could it be that you just lost the best you’ve ever had?”
- “Boy, you actin’ so corny like Fritos”
- “Wouldn’t have none of that without me, though”
- “Out of ammo / gotta reload / if life was a game you’re a free throw”
- “Close the door, lose the key / leave my heart on the mat for me / I was yours eternally / there’s an end to infinity”
- “Truthfully, I’m through with this / why are we still doing this / answer the phone like “who is this?”
And that’s all before the 1:30 mark.
What does Carey’s soon-to-be-ex-husband have to say about all of this? Not much, though he has been supporting the single on his Instagram account. It appears he’s OK with the shade.
“Infinity” is the sole new material featured on #1 to Infinity, a compilation album that collects Carey’s 18 No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 singles. (She released a similar compilation, #1s, in 1998. The new collection features the five singles that have gone No. 1 since then, plus “Infinity.”)
All of this is in support of Carey’s Las Vegas residency, which kicks off at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace on May 6, 2015. That’s right: if you want to see Carey get shady in person, start looking at flights now.
As for Carey and Cannon, their split has been making headlines for months. Despite the fact that Cannon may have already moved on from Carey, the pair seem to be keeping things civil: they spent a nice Easter together with their twins.
#1 to Infinity will be released May 18 through Sony. “Infinity” is available now.