Reading is hard. We’ll help.
For some, reading on the beach is just as backwards as making pizza at home — why go through all the effort when you could just buy one down the street, eat it, and relax? It’s a soothing task nonetheless and it makes you appear cultured even though you might only be catching up on Fifty Shades of Grey. This is where audiobooks, read by people who do not exist inside your head, come in handy and it’s arguably a pleasure when these people are your favorite celebrities.
Below is a list of audiobooks from Audible that will keep you company while you’re hanging out with the ocean in front of you and all of your troubles behind you, featuring titles read by Scarlett Johansson and Kate Winslet. Launch the gallery at the top of the page to view more audiobooks of the romantic variety.
1. “Peter Pan”, performed by Lily Collins
Be whisked away to Neverland in the magical novel written by J. M. Barrie. The best part is, you won’t even need sunscreen to avoid harsh aging.
2. “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland”, performed by Scarlett Johansson
If you haven’t already heard, Alice in Wonderland is all the rage. Get into it with the original.
3. “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz”, performed by Anne Hathaway
Neither lions, tigers, nor bears live by the ocean. Be thankful for this.
4. “Steelheart” by Brandon Sanderson, performed by Macleod Andrews
Revenge, destruction, rebels. Replace Steelheart’s world with the workplace and you might find this more relaxing than expected.
5. “The Wind in the Willows” by Kenneth Grahame, performed by Michael Hordern
Known as one of “the most charming” stories in English literature, “The Wind in the Willows” will quell your antsy children featuring Mole, Mr. Toad, Badger, and Ratty.
6. “Grimm’s Fairy Stories” by The Brothers Grimm, translated by Margaret Hunt, performed by Joanna Daniel
Have you been drinking absinthe instead of tequila? If so, these twisted fairy tales might be of interest.
7. “Aesop’s Fables by Aesop”, performed by Samantha Worthen
Everything you know about anything can be found in Aesop’s fables, including “The Lioness”, “The Country Mouse and the Town Mouse”, and “The Man Bitten by a Dog”.
8. “Black Beauty” by Anna Sewell, performed by Nathaniel Parker
If your vacation finds you in the country rather than beachside, Sewell’s moving autobiography about the humane treatment of horses doubles as a well-rounded perspective of social conditions in England during the late nineteenth century.
9. “Matilda” by Roald Dahl, performed by Kate Winslet
“The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives,” Dahl writes in “Matilda”. “She went on olden-day sailing ships with Joseph Conrad. She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Rudyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.”
Now take your journey inward.
10. The “Harry Potter” series by J.K. Rowling, performed by Jim Dale
One word: “Always.”