There’s been a lot of changes in Braunwyn Windham-Burke‘s life lately. She was recently let go from The Real Housewives of Orange County, which reignited drama with Kelly Dodd (who blames Braunwyn for their firing).
On a more personal level, Braunwyn has been on a journey of her own. After getting sober, the reality star acknowledged that she was struggling with her sexuality and identity. She eventually came out as a lesbian but made it known that she and her husband had no plans of divorcing, even though she began dating someone else. Although it’s unconventional, it doesn’t mean it couldn’t work!
But the couple must have been struggling more than they made public–on Monday they announced that they decided to part ways. They were recently sued for $45,000 in back rent, but Sean Burke now says that Braunwyn wasn’t at fault for the lawsuit.
Braunwyn and Sean have been hit with a $45,000 lawsuit, reported Radar Online. The owner of the mansion they were renting filed a civil suit against the couple on July 12.
According to the lawsuit, the couple rented the home in January 2020 for $15,000 a month. They signed an 18-month lease but allegedly failed to pay rent for three of those months. The landlord confirmed that the couple was being evicted from the home last month.
They are asking the couple to immediately vacate the property and pay the remaining $45,000.
In a statement to Page Six, Sean defended his wife and said she “is not involved in this matter at all.”
“It has been made clear repeatedly that I am in control of all financial matters, which includes rent,” Sean told the outlet. “We were both unaware of a civil case filing until it was published online.”
He said the suit “is a matter of a maximum $7,500 discrepancy, due to the substantial security deposit held.” Sean added that the lawsuit is “unfortunate” but should be “seemingly easy to reconcile and resolve.”
He filed paperwork on Friday asking the judge to throw out the suit.
Last week, Braunwyn and Sean announced that they were temporarily separating.
“We are packing up this house, the one we filmed in last year, and we are moving,” Braunwyn said in the Live. “We have decided jointly that we are going to take a few months apart.”
She revealed that she was going to move to Hawaii, while Sean will rent in Newport Beach. Braunwyn’s girlfriend, Fernanda Rocha, helped Sean find his new place.
“He is moving into a furnished rental for a few months and I am taking the kids to Hawaii for a while,” Braunwyn explained.
“We’re going to see what that’s like, living apart for a little while,” Sean added.
The couple continued to explain that they want to put their children first.
“What we are doing right now is really healthy for them. I am taking my kids for six or seven weeks and when they come back, they will have a place at their father’s,” Braunwyn said.
The couple explained that their ideal situation is to get a house for the children and have the parents travel back and forth.
“What we would like to do is when this is over, get a house that the kids stay in and then we might go [back and forth],” she said. “We haven’t decided if, after this little experiment of having a few months apart, if we are gonna come back together and live together as friends and family, or if we’re going to just keep the kids in the house and we’ll come in and out. … We need a break. We need some space right now.”